Quickest way to remove old wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assume the process is perforate the walls, apply water or solvent and then remove with a scraper.

It's a mix of old wallpaper thats has been painted over and newer heavy lined wallpaper.

Which perforator is best? A roller type or a Paper Tiger style?

Should I use a wallpaper remover solution or a steamer?

As to a scraper - I assume a heavy duty one with replaceable blades is the way to go?

Sponsored Links
I have only ever used paper tigers. The only real downside to them that I can think of is that you need to use a step ladder to reach the tops of the walls.

I normally spray them with a mix of warm water and washing up liquid and let it soak in for a while (using one of those pressure sprayers that you pump). I do have an Earlex Steam Master but I only use it if the pump up sprayer is finding it hard to soak the paper.

If I were planning to strip the paper and then paint the walls I would use a steamer and enzyme based solution to remove any paste residue. In practice, that is very rare, I am more likely to line and paint the walls.

The only decent scrapers that I am aware of are the Olfa scrapers.

http://www.olfacutters.co.uk/Olfa-Scrapers/Olfa-Scraper-XSR-300

They aren't cheap though.

pump sprayer is a great help -the killaspray type

sadly there are no 'quickest' ways, only 'less slow' methods :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back