Quickstep flooing over uneven York stone - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, can anyone offer some advice please????

I'd like to lay Quickstep laminate flooring (the plank type) over an exisitng york stone floor in the kitchen (it's a natural stone in big heavy slabs)
Problem is it's uneven by as much as 7mm in places, I don't mean with regards to the overall level of the room, just from slab to slab due to the shapes and the slopes in the pointing inbetween - if that makes sense.

So my question is, what can I do to ensure the laminate ends up on a
fairly even surface. Initially I was going to lay hardboard down first but the same problem will arise I guess unless I can absorb the difference in depth somehow.

Point to mention, I don't want to use concrete or self leveling compound as I may want the old stone floor back one day.

Now before I'm shot down in flames for covering up York stone, I must explain I do appreciate it's qualities and have really loved having it for the last 10 years but I just want a change.....

Many thanks in anticipation to anyone who can help.........

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back