Quinetic - How to connect?

In your opinion, is Quinetic (and the likes) the future of rewiring / adding additional switches?
I think that's probably two questions.

Such devices certainly can offer a very convenient, and potentially minimally (or non-) disruptive, way of adding switches to an existing installation.

On the other hand, if one is wiring a house 'from scratch', either in a new-build or a 'complete re-wire', then such devices represent a very expensive way of switching. I also suspect/presume that, being electronic devices, they are probably more likely to 'go wrong' than are mechanical switches - with the risk of encountering such a problem presumably increasing if one has 'a house full of them'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think that's probably two questions.

Such devices certainly can offer a very convenient, and potentially minimally (or non-) disruptive, way of adding switches to an existing installation.

On the other hand, if one is wiring a house 'from scratch', either in a new-build or a 'complete re-wire', then such devices represent a very expensive way of switching. I also suspect/presume that, being electronic devices, they are probably more likely to 'go wrong' than are mechanical switches - with the risk of encountering such a problem presumably increasing if one has 'a house full of them'.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks for the comment John

Perhaps as time goes on and with rising popularity, prices may drop?

And that's an excellent shout, regarding the potential failing of these Quinetic devices.

Amongst all the praise for this device i have seen a comment from a user who claims that their receiver failed.

I guess that this could be incredibly inconvenient if the receiver was located under the floorboards

Thanks for the comment John ... Perhaps as time goes on and with rising popularity, prices may drop?
Indeed, at least in 'real terms' - but I doubt they'll ever be anything like as cheap as mechanical switches..
And that's an excellent shout, regarding the potential failing of these Quinetic devices. ... Amongst all the praise for this device i have seen a comment from a user who claims that their receiver failed. ... I guess that this could be incredibly inconvenient if the receiver was located under the floorboards
Quite so - and, in contrast, mechanical switches are eminently 'accessible', should they ever need to be replaced.

Kind Regards, John

If I was having such devices fitted I would also want them to be smart Wi-Fi controlled. Not that I’m a fan of that thing, but it would make sense

Sponsored Links
Very handy technology should y
If I was having such devices fitted I would also want them to be smart Wi-Fi controlled. Not that I’m a fan of that thing, but it would make sense
Yes, then you could turn your bedroom lights on from your pool side chair in Bali. Why would that be Needed?

Very handy technology should y

Yes, then you could turn your bedroom lights on from your pool side chair in Bali. Why would that be Needed?
Steady on there Doc :D

WiFi compatibility could act as a security feature

While out in Bali, one could switch on the lights to give the impression that someone is home

I did say I wasn’t that keen on tech :D

1 you could turn off all lights when leaving house. That would have saved me 40p in the last 5 years :rolleyes:

2 turning lights on without getting out of chair. That would be useful.

I guess you won’t be getting one of these

... WiFi compatibility could act as a security feature ...
True, but I imagine some might suggest that it might also act as a security vulnerability!
While out in Bali, one could switch on the lights to give the impression that someone is home
One could, but for decades we've had ways of achieving much the same without having to utilise 'remote control'.

Unlike some, I have no problem with people who, for whatever reason, like to have a home which can be 'controlled from their smartphone', although I personally see few real advantages. I've already voiced my greatest 'doubt', which relates to the fact that (maybe because I'm old!) having a house depending for its functioning on lots of 'new-fangled electronics' feels much less reliable to me than is the case with good old-fashioned switches (which I can always replace in a minute or three if I ever have to). However, as they say, "everyone to their own".

Kind Regards, John

That sort of thing always reminds me is Home Alone. The burglars knew nobody was in, because the automatic lights always turned on and off at the same time every night.

That sort of thing always reminds me is Home Alone. The burglars knew nobody was in, because the automatic lights always turned on and off at the same time every night.
It does - although that particular problem is easily avoidable, since means of random switching have been around for decades.

Kind regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back