Quite a frightening development in USA, with comparisons to StormTroopers

I guess I'll have to admit to being disproved in my assessment by your intelligent, reasoned, forensic, polemical, persuasive dissection of my argument.
Congratulations. I've rarely seen such powerful arguments.

You still here, Himmy? Thought you'd had it with us and flounced off...............

..............but here you are, still writing the same old lefty twaddle.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Do you read your own posts.
Your own definition of paramilitary states that they are not formally part of the government.
The federal agents you claim are paramilitary are formally employed by the state, therefor they cannot be regarded as paramilitaries.
Your own definition of paramilitary.

A paramilitary organization is a semi-militarized force whose organizational structure, tactics, training, subculture, and (often) function are similar to those of a professional military, but is not formally part of a country's armed forces.[1]

The definition has nothing to do with governments or anything else.

Paramilitary means "resembling soldiers". That's it.

Well done. I wondered how long it would be. After trying to decide what the groups represent and whether they are this or that, legal or not, controlled by whoever, it is, of course, down to -

what does the word mean?

Nowadays, whatever the user wants it to.
Tomorrow, who knows? (y)
We don't and can't apply our own individual meaning to words. That would be plain silly.
But words do have a meaning in a socially constructed sense, as exemplified in the use of the word for ant in different languages.
Thus, words have an accepted meaning to a whole group. It matters not if that group is a nation speaking the same language, a group of scientists, a group of people within a larger group, e.g. a sub-culture. As long as the whole group accept the same meaning for the words that they use.

But there is a group acceptance of the meaning of words.
To suggest that anyone has indicated that individuals can adopt their own specific meaning to words, without a larger groups acceptance, is bonkers, and a strawman argument. No-one has suggested anything of the sort. But words are a social construct, their meanings are adopted by that society, and those meanings can change, evolve over time.

By the same token, dictionaries are descriptive, they describe how words are used and what their accepted meaning is.
Dictionaries are not prescriptive, they do not prescribe how words must be used, and their meanings never changed.

EFLImpudence and brigadier keep making the same strawman argument that individuals can apply their own specific meaning to words.
It's a strawman argument because no-one has suggested it, and they refuse to accept that words are a social construct, in spite of all the evidence.

If something is a social construct, it means that a society creates it, not all individuals creating their own unique version of it.
I suggest EFLImpudence and Brigadier look up the meaning of 'social constructionism'.

The theory centers on the notion that meanings are developed in coordination with others rather than separately within each individual.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_constructionism

Last edited:
Social constructionism:
"I am not who you think I am; I am not who I think I am; I am who I think you think I am."
Mr. Sinn (2016), Theoretical Perspectives: Social Constructionism,​

Borrowing a saying from someone else:

Trump is not far right.
He is just right.

:) :)

Respect law and order until he pardons law breakers.

He isn't right on a host of things. Cutting regulations on environmental protections to help the dying but hugely influential coal and oil sectors.

His taxes might be avialble soon.

Sponsored Links
Back