Quote for drain relining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a section of 100mm drain (10m) that has root ingress in it. I have had 4 quotes to line it and they are:

£550
£680
£845
£970

All ex VAT.

Of course I'm inclined to go with the cheapest (he looks like a one-man band, whereas the others are 'big' companies).

Is there likely to be any more risk in doing so? I.e. is a drain liner a drain liner or are there cheaper lower quality products?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a reason for lining the existing rather than replacing the drain run?...pinenot :)

Only that it's under a concrete path and driveway, excavation of which I assumed would be much more than the quotes here.

Sponsored Links
Well said Andy - and Guess What , the OP is in Surrey :rolleyes: The land of the Rip Off . Just wish I was nearer to it :mrgreen:

I thought it was the whole country, 'Rip off Britain'...... :confused:

Ben, have you seen a DVD of the drain survey showing why you need a reline?

Hugh - I have seen the report from DynoRod that had images from the CCTV survey showing some root ingress into the main drain line.

Here it is:

Not too major at the moment, but would rather get it sorted before we get back ups!

The only thing I think it can be is a bush that runs between us and the neighbours. It's sizaeble - probably 2.5m high and 1-2m wide.

I don't know how urgent a reline is from that image, but here's what I'd do.

Cut the bush, either completely, or reduce the size by at least 1/3. Then keep it to that size by trimming at least once a year. Roots will generally not outgrow a tree/shrub.

Get some drain rods with a drop scraper and try and clear out the roots that way. Saving you £100's.

So what caused you to call out Centrica`s spawn :LOL: Was there an actual blockage - I`ll bet the interceptor near the front boundary blocked - poked it out with a rod then gave you the speil about having a cctv " in case there are problems " ;)

Nige - the reason for calling them out...

we moved into this place back in September. It's 1930s but suffered some neglect under the previous owner.

We had full buildings survey and all that jazz but time was ticking and we were holding up the chain so neglected a full drains survey before we bought. That was a mistake but ho hum live and learn.

One day after we moved in it was raining and I noticed that water from a downpipe was overflowing a gulley at the back of the house. On further inspection the gulley was totally blocked with roots. I called out DR to see if they could unblock it.

No luck there - in fact the underground pipe has collapsed so that all needs redoing. They promoted their 'CCTV survey we'll handle your insurers thing to fix it all up jobby'. I had nothing to lose so went for that.

The insurers refused to pay since we had only just moved in (not surprising).

So there are many issues to fix: 2 blocked rainwater gullies (which I have temporarily diverted and will be properly sorted when we redo the patio), but the CCTV survey (which was free in the end) pulled up these roots.

We have no plans to dig up this section of pipe since it's under a concreted path and drive.

TBH the cheapest quote above is fine for me and seems like good value to fix the problem and move onto solving the next one (we have lots).

With 2 young kids, part time study, job with a lot of travel, a £500 repair bill is more attractive than Deluks's suggestion (but thanks anyway!!)

So in this instance I actually had a good experience with Centrica's spawn! Total cost to me was £75ish callout charge but I paid nothing for the CCTV survey and their quote to fix the problem is in the lowest 2 above.

You may have had a lucky escape, that dont seem bad value for your money. Root ingress is not major in the grand scheme of things, but if you'd prefer to get it sort by way of a reline thats understandable given circumstances.

Rest of dodgy pipework can simply be replaced assuming it's not under anything too immovable, depending on depth is usually pretty straightforward to either DIY or let a general builder handle.

Glad you got a result from the devil`s own ;) In my experience Rainwater drains tend to suffer more from roots ie. they are more roughly laid ( we`re talking 2 foot saltglazed pipes ) so the joints are not sealed so well as Foul water ones , FW are tested @ completion . So the roots can get into a RW drain easier and the water tends to lay in the pipes combined with roof debris - making a nice mulch for the roots to grow in . Also there is no great volume of water , or chemicals to discourage the roots . I would expect to renew them . As to Foul , Hugh is right about it not being major . If the joints ( salt glazed ) had dropped or the pipe had flattened ( Pitch Fibre) and that caused a blockage , then I would have a reline done . In your case I`d get a set of rods and attachments , see if your last manhole to the road/sewer is an interceptor ( where blockages are likely ) and also check your local sewerage co. to see if any of your drains are " adopted " - this only applies if your drains join to others before the sewer ;) Finally , a moneysaving tip for now and perpetuity :idea: Your water co MAY be billing you around £18 a year for disposal of your rainwater - Yours , and millions of others ( including mine ) go to soakaway - You need to prove to them that is so . Then they take that small charge away ( if it`s there ;) ) I was prepared to have a go @ them - first call was a fob off , second one I heard the guy looking on the computer @ their maps ;) Result ! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back