Quote for internal render, browning and top coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone be prepared to sense check a quote I've just had for plastering internal walls of a stone-built cottage?

The total quote for rendering, browning and top coat is approx £7.5k (ex VAT). There are four rooms of approx 4m square (two with flat plasterboarded ceilings and two plasterboarded but vaulted into the roofspace). There are a further three rooms approx 2m square (again with plasterboard ceilings).

The quote seems quite high compared to other quotes I've had (just under £3k for rendering only, and another for £5k for the whole job), but it's someone I'd trust to do a good job (the £5k quote is an unknown quantity - to me at least, but seems to have a good reputation in the area)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored Links
What is wrong with the existing render? How old is the house? Is it lime render? Why render then Browning???

What is wrong with the existing render? How old is the house? Is it lime render? Why render then Browning???

The house is approx 150-200 years old. The existing render was completely shot to pieces (quite a lot of cracks and loose bits due to old movements and infilling of doors etc over the years).

Maybe I've got the terms wrong - basically the quote is for two coats fo render and two top coats (I thought the first top coat was called browning, but maybe I'm wrong!)

You are better off patching up the original lime plaster than messing around with the wrong product for the job (Portland cement).

You are wasting money on the wrong job. Talk to people who work on old properties.

Sponsored Links
Your terminology is correct, browning is an LWR or light-weight render.

However are you aware that you need to upgrade the insulation on these walls?

B'regs states that if you remove more than 24% of a buildings' thermally accountable fabric, you must upgrade the insulation of said structure.

You have cofused Joe with the word 'render' but he is a tad inexperienced regards plastering.

Nosey - render refers to an external finish -
No it most certainly does not exclusively refer to external finish. Browning used to be sold, and maybe still is sold with the initials LWR on the bag referring to lightweight render.

'Tis you who needs to swat up dear boy. I have been using B.G. products for a loooong time.

(I thought the first top coat was called browning, but maybe I'm wrong!)

Browning is a basecoat plaster, the 2 top coats are finishing plaster.

I'm finding it difficult to understand the question! you have a 5k quote and a 7.5k quote?? for more work.

And the room sizes 2m2 and 4m2??

Maybe its just me :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back