Quote for new guttering + tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder-roofer came round delivering leaflets and he noticed I have a few slipped, loose or de-laminated roof tiles (expensive Marley Rosemary he said) . So I asked him for a price. I have a 4 bed semi with a few bits added on. I also mentioned I had a gutter overflow.

He then concentrated on the guttering and said plastic and cast metal never works well.

So guttering around all three sides on the "roof-perimeter" of my house would require, I guess, about 11 lengths of guttering between 2 and 6 meters each bit. He said he would replace all guttering with plastic, including downpipes, supply and fit for £800.

He said while his blokes were here, they could nip up and replace any dodgy tiles (which he now said would cost nothing as he has them left over) "for the price of a drink".

Does this sound a good deal ?

Sponsored Links
Ignore him and don't allow anybody to trample on your roof without knowing their credentials.

Weathered/delaminated Rosemary tiles are notoriously difficult to walk on without causing further damage.

Cast iron gutter to plastic does work if done right but cast does corrode badly especially at the rear of gutter and pipes.

You may well need new gutters but I'd be inclined to use someone with a good reputation and work completed history.

Thank you - I will give him a miss.

I did feel a bit uncomfortable because the way Rosemary tiles were "very expensive" then suddenly - after I told him the internet price - "well they cost nothing because I have them spare".

Then there was the comment that the (previously expensive) roof tiles would be replaced for the price of a drink, the expensive looking web site and the expensive looking leaflet - I'll try and find someone recommended in East London/ West Essex where I live.

Rule No. 1

Do not hire anyone who comes to your door!
(did he have a white transit)

Get 3 quotes and take it from there.

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back