Quoted £3800 for a concrete block wall...rip off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just quoted £3800 for a wall with footings from concrete block, 212mm thick or something similar?

I've decided against this and will do it myself as it's just a retaining wall there just 'in case'.

Couple of questions-

I'm on very hard chalky soil, how deep should I do the footings?

What blocks would be best? The wall will be cladded so no need to look pretty.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not "just a retaining wall", it's a Retaining Wall, and it needs to be done properly or it will not retain.
I think I said in my first post that people tend to underestimate how strong a retaining wall needs to be.
Did the person who gave you this quote calculate that 212mm of concrete block was right? If so, congratulations, you've just saved yourself the cost of a structural engineer. If it was just a guess....

On Sunday I saw a retaining wall being constructed by a riverbank. It was a similar size to yours, and consisted of reinforced concrete about 200mm thick (i.e. rebar grids, shuttering, poured concrete), then stone facings. No idea about the foundation.

Thanks for the reply.

The 200 and something hollow concrete blocks with room for rebar look promising. Not too expensive either.

Any ideas on foundations anyone? It's pretty firm, the 1.5t digger was fine on the base and it's a very chalky area.

Thanks

Rough rule of thumb for mass retaining walls is the width at the base is 1/3 of the height. As mentioned sevetal times in your other thread it needs designing really.

Sponsored Links
Maybe repost this for a third time in another section and then you might get the answer you are looking for? Could i suggest DIY disasters...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back