R.c.d. Protection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just pricing up a light industrial job. It's to install a bank of sockets in a warehouse that calibrates measuring instrumentation and the customer doesn't want r.c.d. protection in case of nuisance tripping. The warehouse doors are about 8 mts away and so the sockets could reasonably be used to provide power outside. Should r.c.d. protection be insisted upon?
Regards,
Ants.

Re-think: What am I talking about?! :oops: 17th applicable from next week so r.c.b.o. it is. (No supervision by skilled/ instructed persons either; I've met the remedials who work there!) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What sort of work is going to happen in this area? Just calibration or repairs as well? I'm thinking along the lines of a live test area, where EEBADS might not be the best option, electrical separation being one alternative which we use.

I got 3 days to get used to the new terms!! :LOL:
EEBADS or as in the 17th edition ADS is relying on TT, TN or IT systems to automatically disconnect the supply for protection.
Electrical separation is a different type of protection, RCDs aren't effective on an electrically separate source, the electronics in many RCBOs will get pretty upset at having a floating supply.

Sponsored Links
IF the equipment they are going to be using is liable to trip an RCD then go electrically seperated, especially if it is going to be used by what the 17th describes as uninducted, unskilled, unsupervised personell :LOL:

Why not run a non RCD supply to the new sockets, and fit RCD socket fronts?

The problem with RCD protection is that a person who is repairing something in the area will need to become part of the circuit to trip the device. I don't know if this is a repair area or just a calibration area?? Electrical separation with a monitoring device to warn of the first fault condition may be a better plan of attack for this type of setup.
With regards to the skilled / instructed persons, if the type of installation requires this to be in place then it needs to be done. Otherwise, quite simply a test area should not be installed.
Maybe I am going off on a tangent and it is only to plug stuff in to check calibration though, not repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back