Rabbeting router bits advice

I don't know what a guide bush is!!! :( My router has a base... a collet... and bits.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Then buy a book about routing.... I suggest Bill Hylton's ""Router Magic". Routers don't come with guide bushes - they are accessories and you need to buy them. The plunge base uses the same guide bush adaptor as the big 1/2in Makita routers to take a Porter-Cable style guide bush (the easiest way to get a metric guide bush set is to buy the adaptor in a set - look at Aim Tools of Axminster Power Tools- both do sets with adaptors in). Using guide bushes with templates allows you to use cheap straight cutters and cheap, home made templates instead of buying expensive bearing guided bits.

And I still think that using a cordless router in a router table is a moronically stupid thing to do, but hey, you do what you want.

you can't use a cordless router in a table at least you can but will double the effort and time and reduce the accuracy on most tasks
only small diameter cutters available as a say 12x12 rebate needs around 4 or 5 passes much much easier in hand
if your timber has a slight bow the rise over a table is far far greater than over the 90 or so mm off a router base

And I still think that using a cordless router in a router table is a moronically stupid thing to do, but hey, you do what you want.

Thanks for giving me your permission... :D ...strange that you may have thought I needed it. :rolleyes: I will crack on with this, plenty of good things to work from on YouTube. Aim to rein-in your adjectives... "moronic" is a tad unjustified... the best way to impart your concerns about [your] perceived safety issues is by being kinder... more constructive. Try it.

I built the crosscut sled in a day and it's ace... I bet I can do a router table in an afternoon... next weekend, maybe. There's one on YouTube with just a hole in some sheet material and another piece acting as a fence bolted in at one side... clamp at the other end to try and keep it in one place. What a good plan, nothing can go wrong. Apart from the fact I don't know how to bolt my router to the underside... :confused: ...no obvious holes like in the DeWalt he was using. Probably goes the other way...

Sponsored Links
...but will double the effort and time and reduce the accuracy on most tasks

I must admit this doesn't make sense to me... accuracy would be improved due to less hand wobble, surely? Moving the wood around the bit should imply better speed too... the effort of initial setup might be increased, sure, and may not be worth it unless doing lots of the same thing.

with a router its half the shank diameter per pass so 8mm=4mm so 12x12 is 6 passes requiring the depth to be altered 2 times and the fence to be adjusted 2
if you dont understand bow on timber when using a router you have a lot to learn :D

You get told something not once, but twice (in two different threads) and continue along the same path. As a tradesman that just makes me think "moron", hence moronic. I don't t care if you think I'm rude - I'm nor PC, either. Good luck with YouTube, there's some horrifically dangerous stuff out there mixed in with the good stuff and I'm sure that common sense will prevail - as if such a thing ever existed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back