Racal Guardall RLC1 Light Control Unit + compatable PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has outside front and rear security lights each with a stand alone PIR connected to separate Racal control boxes inside. These have on/off/PIR and timer controls. They were fitted many years ago. Both PIRs have now failed although the lights still work continuously in the 'on' position.

I know that Racal no longer trade in security lights. I have read similar previous forums and particularly comments by 'Saxondale'. Is it possible to fit compatable PIRs without disturbing the internal wiring, and if so what is recommended? I have seen that possibly some GJD detectors will work, but don't know which ones will.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
My house has outside front and rear security lights each with a stand alone PIR connected to separate Racal control boxes inside. These have on/off/PIR and timer controls. They were fitted many years ago. Both PIRs have now failed although the lights still work continuously in the 'on' position.

I know that Racal no longer trade in security lights. I have read similar previous forums and particularly comments by 'Saxondale'. Is it possible to fit compatable PIRs without disturbing the internal wiring, and if so what is recommended? I have seen that possibly some GJD detectors will work, but don't know which ones will.

Can anyone help?

hi there - you can adapt a GJD but it needs a resister and TBH its that long since I just cant remember what value

treat yourself to a new controller too - its worth it

...and what's this resistor supposed to do? :LOL:

...and what's this resistor supposed to do? :LOL:

no idea mate - you fitted it between the 12v and the daylight sensor IIRC

wasnt anal enough to want to know what it does, just fit em as instructed then onto the next job (been a few years since we did the resistor trick mind)

Sponsored Links
Message for ROSMO22.

Did you ever get your RLC1 PIR's working/ Replaced ?

Recently, I was asked by a widowed lady neighbour if I could fix the Racal Guardall RLC1 PIR fitted to her house by her late husband about 20 years ago.
She had no information on the installation, and I was dubious about replacing the PIR with a modern one due to incompatibilty problems.
Therefore I spent a fun 2 hours getting the old one going and it now works OK.

If you are interested let me know and I will post the whole 9 yards !

Message for ROSMO22.

new photocell in the one that had it connented maybe?

go on spill the beans

Message for ROSMO22.

Did you ever get your RLC1 PIR's working/ Replaced ?

Recently, I was asked by a widowed lady neighbour if I could fix the Racal Guardall RLC1 PIR fitted to her house by her late husband about 20 years ago.
She had no information on the installation, and I was dubious about replacing the PIR with a modern one due to incompatibilty problems.

I also have some of these, one of which is not working. Would be interested in the whole 9Yards if you can post it please.

bobble25, welcome to the forums, may i suggest you read all the info posted

Monitorman, who offered to give "The whole 9 yards" only ever made the one post. Atilla even said
Atilla said:
...............................................new photocell in the one that had it connented maybe?

go on spill the beans
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 22:04

which was [Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 20:46] only78 minutes after Monitorman made his "offer"

Monitorman never bothered to reply then, (look at his post count, its 1) so i doubt he is going to reply now. His email address is not in his profile either :cry:

I suggest you take saxondale's advice
saxondale said:

and for what its worth, saxondale no longer posts either (he stopped posting in March)

sorry, but the speed this forum moves at....................

Thanks Breezer for your response. I would be happy to replace the units but would like something where I can just replace the PIRs if at all possible. Unfortunately the wiring is a puzzle to me so I dont know what type of PIR I can obtain to do this. If you (or anyone else) has any useful info I would be grateful.

Thanks Breezer for your response. I would be happy to replace the units but would like something where I can just replace the PIRs if at all possible. Unfortunately the wiring is a puzzle to me so I dont know what type of PIR I can obtain to do this. If you (or anyone else) has any useful info I would be grateful.

breezer said:
bobble25, welcome to the forums, may i suggest you read all the info posted

I have seen that possibly some GJD detectors will work,

hi there - you can adapt a GJD but it needs a resister and TBH its that long since I just cant remember what value

or to put it another way.

racalites (what you have) are so old no one really worries about them, just install from new (you may be able to use the existing cables)

saxondale may have known what the resitor value was and where it went, but he is not here

unless you want to try, you have no alternative.

You could also spend days trying to figure it out, but change the lot in a few hours.

your choice

Hi, Can anyone tell me what system I can buy to replace this system. All my wiring runs through the walls so I am looking to replace the control panels and also the PIR's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back