Rad in loft higher than header tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone, I was wondering if this is possible?

I live in an old victorian terrace house, it has a back boiler downstairs in kitchen along with the pump, header tank and cylinder is in upstairs bedroom airing cupboard.

Would it be possible to fit an additional radiator in the loft? I have been advised there may be problems due to it being higher than header tank?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Only if you raise the header tank to a minimum of 18 inches above the radiator being fitted preferable 3ft above the top of the radiator

Thanks for that buster!
Will probably have to just stick to 'leccy heater as there is no scope to have it anywhere other than on floor in loft due to steep sloping roof!

Cheers for the quick response, much appreciated!

Replace header tank with air vessel, a filling loop and a pressure gauge, turning it into a sealed system.

Mains pressure would fill system and air vessel would maintain pressure to achieve loft pumping height and absorb pressure fluctuations due to heat expansion of water.

Would this work (i'm no pro)?

Sponsored Links
is that a job for a proffessional or could an amateur like myself have a stab at it?
how much am i looking at for a pro to convert this?
thanks!

Replace header tank with air vessel, a filling loop and a pressure gauge, turning it into a sealed system.

Mains pressure would fill system and air vessel would maintain pressure to achieve loft pumping height and absorb pressure fluctuations due to heat expansion of water.

Would this work (i'm no pro)?

Not with a back boiler you can't.

Converting the boiler to an sealed system would work but;

I'ts a job for an expert and not all boilers can be converted

and back-boilers are 1 that ya cant, i wonder if gravity hw wud wrk in a sealed sys? :LOL:

some bbus are suitable for sealed systems, however gravity HW would not, I believe, be acceptable

thanks very much everyone for your advice, taken it on board and decided to leave well alone.
The boiler and fire look old as the hills so not going to tamper, will make do with portable heater until the time comes to change boiler for something a tad more modern!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back