Rad not working !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, ive been scratching my head on this problem ive come across. When I have a central heating system running 1 or 2 rads stop working but the others are fine and hot, one side of the rad has a trv and the other a standard rad valve, what could be the problem?? Have bled the rads and checked the valves are open, any pointers would be helpful,,,cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
If the rads have TRVs as you say then it is likely that they are simply doing their job and shutting the rads off because the room is at the set temperature.

Rads should not have a trv on one side and a wheelhead on the other, your balancing is probably off

hi thanks for your replies to my problem. The rads have a trv on one side and a lockshield valve on the other end, not sure if this is right??

The rads were working fine but just stopped working one day for no reason, thanks again

Sponsored Links
lockshield on one side is as should. try all trvs closed, apart from one. try this on all rads and see what happens. roomstat on max whislt doing this

remove trv head and work pin with grips,quite a common fault is the pin stuck down

remove trv head and work pin with grips,quite a common fault is the pin stuck down

NO!!! Never work pins with grips!

Gently tap until pin releases (if its stuck down). DO NOT PULL ON THE PIN WITH GRIPS

David

and whys that?,if you tap it and its stuck down,dont think thats gonna work,freed plenty of trvs off with grips

and whys that?,if you tap it and its stuck down,dont think thats gonna work,freed plenty of trvs off with grips

I have freed plenty of TRV's that way too.
Not without scary moments though. Especially when the hot black water is peeing out at you and the pin has disappeared down the side of a rather posh carpet.
I have it down to an art now so that the pin doesn't come right out except on danfoss RAVLs and a few others in situations where I know I can get away with it.

I had the same problem - radiator just stopped working. :mad: I tried connecting each pipe to see if the valves or radiator were faulty & the pipes never became hot. :rolleyes: I simply fitted tee pieces to the in & out pipes to a radiator which was working well & it solved the problem. :) The joins were made just beside the manifold. I of course had to "stop end" the unused pipes from the manifold. :idea:
This'll probably be frowned upon or even poo pooed by the experts but I probably needed a new manifold which would've created it own set of problems. IT WORKED

equal tee
BE9530.jpg

stop end

pf18.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back