Rad pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i'm about to have a few rads installed and a couple of them are cast iron floor standers so the pipework needs to come out of the floor and into the values vertically. How is this done? Can the pipework run down my studding and be bent to form a 'u' bend below ground then jointed to the rads and screed over the top to give the appearance of vertical pipes coming out the floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pipes can go just about anywhere!

However if burried in concrete will need to be insulated and protected.

Tony

Why does the pipe need to come out of the floor, you can use fittings and take it back to the wall, or swing the valve over (depends on size and valve) and go straight back.

the valves are quite big and part of the feature so they need to be vertical. Is it's possible to put a 't' on the end of the pipe so it can come from the wall and then turn on a right angle to meet the valve?

Is it much of a problem to expect the pipes to come out the floor? I understand it will be more work but as long as it's only a couple of extra hours I don't mind. I just want to know if it's possible before I order the rads.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Another option may to use a "street" elbow from bottom of valve facing into the wall, that would give a very minimalist appearance as no actual pipework on show.

Rico[/img]

thanks, that's perfect, I would prefer the pipes to come out of the floor but if it's a real pain then i'm happy with that little fitting, also means the rads can be fitted before the floor is tiled and they don't need removing. I assume the bend on this fitting is ok and wont restrict anything?

Hi,

No the bend would be fine.

I would still get the floor tiles first, otherwise your heights will be out

Rico

yeah I will have the floor tiles just they wont be bedded, so I will cut a thin sliver of ply to allow for adhesive height.

cheers.

You can have them in the floor if you wish.

They will need protecting if it's concrete.

And you'll need a draincock at some point.

I would definitely bring them out of the wall wit the street elbow, leaves the floor area clear, it's a dust trap having a pipe out the floor

I'm quite keen to see the rads in question, 95% of the time on Bathroom work, wall pipes look neater but that's mainly bacause a traditional Bathroom is pretty rare these days

Here are the rads in question, they are the two column versions in pewter, they're from a different supplier as the place I found was only about 80 for a 5 sections version:

http://www.townandcountrylifestyles.co.uk/castiron/styles.htm

Just realised that if the pipes come out of the wall then they will go straight through the skirting as the valves are really low which would look terrible. Are the valves used on these rads a size that works with modern pipework?

Out the floor 100%

The pipes must be brought through in exactly the right position (obviously) , and then capped off. The tiler must then tile the floor by cutting a hole out of the tile to slide over the pipe, then the rad and valves can be fitted.

In answer to your Q. yes valves are 1/2" x 15mm so standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back