rad still being fed when valves are shut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a radiator that has developed a leak from where the wheel head side of the radiator connects to the valve. The valve is ok, I just need to change the part that goes into the radiator.

The valve is a thermostatic pegler terrier but was here from before i moved in, im guessing 80s. I have used the cap off another thermostatic radiator to shut the radiator off turning it clockwise.

My problem is, I closed the locksheild clockwise and the wheelhead but when im draining the rad from the airvalve water is coming out and the pressure of the system is dropping. So obviously the radiator is still getting water in.

I have tried both valves clockwise and anticlockwise and still its the same.

Does anyone know what can be causing this and how I make the changes i need to without draining the system, or if u no the valves are definitly faulty?

Thanks a lot and happy new year

Sponsored Links
If you think you have shut off both valves fully but the system pressure still drops when you drain the rad then it must be that one valve is not closed.

Drain system and replace both valves to make sure you cure this.

thanks for the reply

So im guessing one of the valves is faulty and gota change both of them right??

thanks a lot

sorry silly post after reading ur post again i have basicly asked what uve said.

Thanks once again

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have decided to change the radiator, I have done this before but everyday ur learning and have read somewhere that when draining the system u shud leave the bleed valves of the rads open.

Is this correct and are there any other hints or tips for when draining down a system and fitting a rad and valves apart from the obvious??

thank u

I tape together large poly bags as a waterproof membrane on top of ant dust sheets as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back