radial fuse question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just visited a family member who has a problem with his power going off when he turns the kettle, washing machine and oven fan on (gas oven) on checking hi breaker its 16amp so obviously a radial (haven't checked) so the question is if the cable is 2.5mm is it permisable to replace the breaker with a 20amp one or 32amp?

Sponsored Links
Not obviously a radial. Do you feel able to post a piccy of the inside of the CU?

However, if it IS a radial, the maximum breaker size would be 20A for 2.5 cable or 32A for 4.0.

I would personally be suspicious as to why a 16A has been fitted, and would check the circuit thoroughly before changing anything.

If you confirm that its 2.5 throughout and radial length does not exceed 27 metres, then you could probably upgrade to a B20 MCB. If there is no RCD fitted then a B20 RCBO may be an option.

32A will be a definite no no unless you can continue the end of the radial back to the CU to form a ring that does not exceed 84 metres in length.

Having looked at your previous posts it seems that you are a sparky so I will assume you are able to carry out relevant tests.
But to be honest I am a little suprised by your question, especially asking if its ok to fit 32A :confused:

Also bear in mind what thermal insulation (if any exists) does to the current carrying capacity of a cable. Without knowing the full run of the cable it's difficult to consider increasing your 16A MCB to a 20A MCB.

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry i stated 32amp fuse in relation to taking the end of the radial and returning back to the board.

I will take a careful look before i do anything, as i understand it he has had a new extention and had some dodgy electrical work done the radial in question only used to feed the kitchen but now extends to the downstairs extention via 20mm plastic conduit, as soon as it comes into the extention there is a fused spur box (dont knowwhat size fuse is) then goes to x2 double sockets then another fused spur box feeding the light??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back