Radiator adjustment question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at turning down the temperature of the radiator in our baby's room.

Missus wanted me to fit a wooden radiator cover to stop baby burning himself, but I'm not keen on this idea.

With lockshield rads, can I just close one of the valves to drop the temp down in that particular room, or will that mess up the balancing or something?

(Might look at changing to TRVs in the future, might makes things like this easier)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Changing to TRVs or turning down the valves will not alter the temperature of the radiator, but will alter the temperature of the room. The water in the radiators is always at the same temperature, but reduced flow means less heat is lost to the room.

Perhaps turning down the temp on the boiler/cylinder?
Yes would reduce the temp of all rads, the current rad should not be hot enough to cause an actual burn .Baby should not be able to touch the radiator and once a toddler will learn very quickly not to touch.

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions on settings?

IMG-20201205-163944.jpg

IMG-20201205-163812.jpg

IMG-20201205-163751.jpg

Turn the temperature down on the boiler itself, in that last photo.

Turning it down, might also affect how hot you can get your hot water if it is a cylinder.

Ok, I've set the boiler down to 4, and the cylinder down to just above 60.

See what that does.

Ok, I've set the boiler down to 4, and the cylinder down to just above 60.

See what that does.

Always set your cylinder temperature lower than your boiler's output temperature, or you will suffer constant and wasteful cycling of the boiler whilst ever your water heating is enabled.

How would I know what the boiler temperature is though, if the control dial goes from 1 to 5, and not in celcius?

How would I know what the boiler temperature is though, if the control dial goes from 1 to 5, and not in celcius?

Just watch out for the cycling and if it does, nudge the cylinder stat down a bit. The other way, is to wait until you know your cylinder is up to temperature, then turn the cylinder stat down until you hear it click.

Be aware - that it is recommended that your cylinder's stored water temperature is raised to above 60C at least once per week, to kill off Legionella.

Yep, its between 60 and 65 on the dial at the moment. I guess it depends on how accurate that it though. I think my room thermostat maybe isn't too accurate, I don't know.

I've for a thermocouple probe for a dmm somewhere, I might check it at some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back