Radiator compression valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject, I've looked everywhere and can't find a definitive answer.

I am installing a new central heating system in my home using plastic push-fit. Being a bungalow, my pipes are dropping down from above, in chases, then these will be plastered over. I am putting my 15mm pipes inside 22mm conduit to allow expansion. My question is:

• How can I connect plastic pipes to thermostatic radiator valves? I can't seem to find any push-fit thermostatic valves for 15mm pipe. (My plan was to come out of the wall in plastic and cover with a chrome covering)

• I know copper looks better than plastic, so is there anyway to incorporate copper with compression fittings where people will see that pipes? (I read that soldering has to take place at least 450mm from the closest push-fit fitting, and my drops are all within that distance, so soldering is out of the question!) Could i come from a push-fit elbow inside the wall with a copper pipe, then connect to a chrome compression fitting that connects to the valve? Does anything like this exist?

I know it's a bit of a tough one to work out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Just use the compression joint on the valve with your plastic pipework, this will be fine as long as you have the correct insert in the pipe.

Thanks for the response.

Do all thermostatic valves have a compression joint that will accept plastic pipe (with a TSM insert)?

I think you are over thinking it, you can pretty much connect anything to anything (except you can't solder plastic of course!)

You could run your plastic pipes down the wall, add a pushfit or compression elbow (with insert) and then onto copper for the visible bit.

You could just use plastic throughout (with inserts for compression joints) and then paint the visible bits of plastic white, or use those white/chrome plastic pipe covers to hide the grey plastic.

BTW when you say you are installing a new heating system, can we assume you are only doing the wet pipework, not the gas and electric?!

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much, I think that has cleared everything up.

Really appreciate your time. I think I will proceed with plastic all the way and use the chrome covers.

Thanks

NB. No Im not doing any electrics or gas.

Although not now necessary, now you know you can use compression on plastic pipes, with the correct inserts, Pegler Terrier are available with either a straight push-fit connector or with a push-fit elbow.

just to add you need inserts on EVERY joint wether they are compression or push fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back