Shower pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, im going to fit a surface thermo mixer shower and pump with chrome pipes coming down from the loft. I am planing to use plastic pipe for the rest of the fitting,

1. What is the best way to connect chrome plated copper to plastic, i was going to use compression or push, (hep02 sayes its not to be used with chrome plated copper).

2. can i use compression fittings on plastic pipe, (i have been told to fit gate valves near the pump).

Sponsored Links
Make sure you use the pipe inserts when using comp fittings on plastic pipe. :D

Sponsored Links
(hep02 sayes its not to be used with chrome plated copper).
Just want to back this up cos I've seen one blow off and flood a house before. The grab rings just slip off the chrome. Insurance wouldnt pay out as it was 'dodgy' plumbing rather than a burst pipe

Thanks for your input, BUT after looking into it im going with good old copper. (that will put a smile on Kevs face),

1. Its cheeper than plastic.

2. The pump instructions say to keep all bends/joins 'as free flowing as possible'

Why do people use plastic pipe? I can see it would have its place to bend aronud things, BUT copper is cheaper, and with solder/compressinon joints will last longer. And from what i can tell, easier to do smooth 90o bends.

Thanks.

Why do people use plastic pipe?

Takes a fraction of the time to put in..... time = money
No fire risk
Doesnt matter if theres water in the pipe when you join it back up
Less joints making it cheaper than copper for long runs
Takes a 'knock' better than copper
Doesn't react with concrete
Joints are easily de-mountable and re-connectable
You can thread it through joists like a cable
etc etc

Admittedly there are one or two downsides but these are far outweighed by the plus's
I still use copper for 'show pipework' and where theres a lot of copper already
Of course you can't use plastic on gas [had to mention that cos there are people who are daft enough to try]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back