Radiator copper pipe broke into two (photos attached)

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello everyone, First of all thank you for taking time to read my post, hopefully I can find help! My problem is pretty straight forward, when I removed the radiator from the bathroom to paint the wall, the cooper pipe that connect the radiator to the wall broke into two, I will attach pictures to make it clear! Any ideas or advices on how to fix it will be welcomed.
Thanks a lot,
Seed

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_133333.jpg
    IMG_20200703_133333.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20200703_133347.jpg
    IMG_20200703_133347.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20200703_133352.jpg
    IMG_20200703_133352.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 376
Sponsored Links
Not common for that to happen thankfully, you will probably have to remove the tile to sort that, not an easy fix Im afraid

Overtightened in its past life by the looks of it, judging by the tool marks you can see, everything's been a bit heavy handed.

As @ianmcd suggests, you'll need to get into the wall someway to replace the pipe.

Thank you for the replay, It's a very old installation, I would rather contact a professional even if I like to do things myself!
Anyway thanks again!

Sponsored Links
That's brass which has sheared which means there's a screwed fitting hidden behind the tiles. The rework access hole's going to be bigger than you'd like :cry:

If the snapped nipple is removed from the fitting then clean with a 1/2" bsp tap ….Jobs a good un !!!

Do not care for people who use slip wrench to butcher fitting like in the picture

Thanks again, I'm gonna give it a try and let you know, I was looking for this kind of ideas :D
Cheers

Poland

Last edited by a moderator:
I would enlarge the hole, fit a Yorkshire coupler, Street elbow and plumb to top connection if that is the flow into the radiator. That is assuming the broken stub if brass or raise the radiator and replumb

Cannot make up my mind if the bit in the valve is broken threaded 15mm nipple, if yes, should be able to remove from the socket and source one from screwfix. What is in the wall could be treaded iron pipe. TRV looks like a FI inlet, in which case I would change it to 15mm TRV

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back