Radiator deltas temporary overpowered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Doing up a bedroom for my daughter and we are replacing her rad. Based on various calculators, we're looking at 1450 BTU at T50.

In a few years (likely 1-2), we are looking to replace our heating system with a ASHP (especially now looks like new gov scheme coming). I am in a quandary whether I should get a smaller rad now to match the room as is, or if getting a bigger radiator to match when we're looking at T30 output (e.g. ~2700 BTU T50).

We're moving the rad and need to use a vertical one too, so it's not as choice of waiting as is and replacing later, it's really something we just need to get done.

Is it reasonable to overpower a rad in a room that much on a temporary basis? Assuming we're using Smart TRV, does it even matter?

Sponsored Links
The idea of us all having ASHP will never happen...or not for a very very long time. Our clueless government led by dumbar5ed policies by the adorable Carrie are pie in the sky. Manufacturers of heat pumps know it too.
Unless you really understand the mechanics of heat pumps do not even consider it...much of what is said is pure nonsense.
Converting a house to use an ASHP (that will run efficiently) requires significant insulation, draughtproofing, MVHR, a cylinder, often new pipework and rads (flow/return delta is perhaps 5 to 10 degrees) or conversion to underfloor heating so in the scheme of things your rad upgrade is of little importance.
Pick your vertical rad wisely...most don't work very well.

Thank you for your message, I definitely hear you on the gov issues. My understanding is that the people who came up with the initial scheme wanted to include the full range of house improvements, but gov removed a lot of that and hamstrung the entire scheme. That said, our house has actually been highly insulated already and we're moving to UFH downstairs at the same time.

The main query really was about being too hot in the short term and any other unforeseen issues that might cause.

I am interested in your last comment, any particular brands/models good or bad from your point of view?

You can always turn the radiator down, so that the only impact of a (for now) oversized radiator is that it will heat the room more quickly.

Sponsored Links
Pick a proper well known radiator brand with a technical helpline and cast iron warranty...all I ever see is junk from the online retailers.

Whichever ever one you choose, flush it through thoroughly before fitting.

I do not understand why manus are not designing two stage heat pumps.

Look at any data on heat outputs from vertical rads with low inlet temps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back