Radiator for a 3x5m living room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have decided against underfloor heating for my new lounge/hall, and will be going for radiators.
i've worked out using various websites that for the lounge, I need 5200-6250 BTU.
Screwfix do one at 7083 BTU.

My questions are;

Will one radiator be ok to cover a room of this size 3x5m or do I need two smaller ones spread out :?:

In a room with double glazing and cavity wall insulation, is it best to over spec and then control the radiator with a valve, or should I stick to a mid BTU value radiator :?:

any opinions would be great.

thanks, Alex.

Sponsored Links
You should fit a TRV which will control the temperature.

A longer rad will distribute the heat better. Avoid double panel rads. This is less relevant when the insulation is good.

A higher heat output is no problem and will work better at a lower temp which can increase efficiency with a condensing boiler.

The rad should ideally be placed on an external wall and below windows. This is much less important with cavity insulation.

I prefer to work in kilowatts and dont understand why rad makers still quote outputs in BTU. That sounds like the old days of coal and steam.

Tony

Most new rads will be quoting their outputs at 50C now so should not need to oversize for condensing boilers!

Thanks guys.
Yes, it will be placed under a window. To get the output I need in the space available I will need a double radiator.
I have cavity wall insulation + I will fit a sheet of reflector material to the wall.

Alex.

Sponsored Links
Since you've done the rounds, which online calculator worked best for you Alex?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back