Radiator getting hot with just hot water on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that when we run the bath, the bathroom radiator is also getting warm/hot, only just started. We have a Glow worm 30cxi, got to say had nothing but problems with it since it was installed :(, but has been ok for about 8 months till now. Now i'm none to versed in boilers so if you could bear that in mind when replying. I guess it some sort of diverter valve ??

Sponsored Links
If it is getting hot while the tap is running , yes pobably a faulty divertor if it gets hot after tap has been turned off it is just the pump over run dumping heat from the boiler

The boiler will still be under warranty if it is only the age you have stated and yes it may well be the diverter valve letting by especially if you have noticed a temp drop in the hot water temp. As a temp measure you could shut off all the rads so it cannot circulate through them. The boiler has an auto by pass valve built in i believe so should be ok when running on.

BUT.. Call the manufacturers to come out and repair the system.. However you can bet that they may well have their Filmstar coat on and tell you the good old...." It has been caused by sludge in the system and was not cleaned properly when the boiler was put in"

Joking aside though i have come across a few of these models and had to take out and descale the domestic heat exchanger on systems that HAVE been cleaned and flushed correctly. The new high efficient plate heat exchangers can easily trap the smallest amount of dirt that may have escaped the flushing process.

There is a good argument for installing units like the Adey Magnetite on the return pipework to the boiler ....especially when fitting new boilers onto old systems.

GET THEM OUT ANYWAY ....just act as if you know nothing at all.

Your signature has been removed, please read the forum rules

Unfortunateley thats the problem with a cheap boiler probably fitted by a dubious installer. Dubious installers don't usually fit good boilers, although yesterday morning I came across one of my Vaillants fitted by one of our local 'idiots', needless to say it had been fitted incorrectly and never commission properly :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, i should clarify the boiler is out of warranty, only 8 moths since last problem ! blocked condenstae drain caused back flooding and water to come out of burner area !.

So how hard is it to change/clean the diverter valve ? do i need to drain the heating circuit or can the part be isolated in some way ?

Just as a point of interest, the last guy that came out to fix the drain, said he noticed quite a lot of "crud" in the system, and even now if i take off the blue drain cap from the condensate trap it still gets brown flakes in it. When the new boiler was fitted we had all new radiators as well and the installer said he used fernox inhibitor, but i guess now looking back and after reading through here he never did a powerflush ?? saying that not sure one would have been needed with new boiler and all new rads.... guess i'm now suffering the consequences of a poor installation. i dont know.

gas4you said:
Unfortunateley thats the problem with a cheap boiler probably fitted by a dubious installer. Dubious installers don't usually fit good boilers, although yesterday morning I came across one of my Vaillants fitted by one of our local 'idiots', needless to say it had been fitted incorrectly and never commission properly :rolleyes:

Just because it's a cheap boiler doesn't mean it's rubbish. It's normally the dubious installer who causes issues.

I will totally agree with the last comment.

The price of the boiler has nothing to do with its reliability. Some of the cheaper boilers are more reliable than some expensive ones.

Where there is a correlation is that cheaper boilers are installed by "cheap" and cowboy installers who dont clean the system and dont guarantee their work.

Clearly in this case the original installer is not involved in sorting out the boiler following his apparent failure to clean the system properly.

Even totally new pipework and rads have to be correctly cleaned with the correct chemicals. If there are old pipes which are dirty then power flushing is the quickest option.

However the installer chooses to clean the system ( or not ) then he should take full responsibility for any problems resulting from his work. Apparently he is not doing that.

Your boiler is capable of perfectly good service and apart from a magnetic flow sensor which hardly works even when new the rest of the boiler is perfectly fine. Very difficult to work on though and I hate them!

Tony

OP there wll always be a certain amount of crap in the condensate trap, that is why they should be removed every service and flushed through.

This is seperate to crud in the heating circuit.

so thx all agin for replies, but can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove/clean/replace the diverter valve without draining the whole heating circuit ?

If you are luicky the installer was gracious enough toinstal addiitonal servicing valves - like we do. Otherise you'll have to hope the ones fitted to the boiler work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back