upstairs radiators get warm when the hot water is one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old oil-fired Trianco boiler. Separate circuits for CH and HW , no diverter valves anywhere.
Boiler downstairs in kitchen. Hot water tank upstairs in airing cupboard.
Towel radiator in bathroom is part of the hot water heating circuit.
Since last year , radiator on landing now gets warm when the hot water is on but CH is off, likewise other upstairs radiators , though not as warm.
I guess I should check to see if CH pipes out of boiler are warm when the HW is on, so it's down to convection?
Otherwise I can't explain it.

Can anyone out there ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
have you got gravity hot water?

if it's just started happening, and there's no diverter valves, could be an anti gravity valve passing -

Hi , thanks for a quick answer.

Yes , hot water is gravity fed.

But hot water heating is a totally separate circuit. The only place the two circuits come close is in the boiler at the heat exchanger.

???

I don't know much about oil fired boilers but where your pump is, is there a valve closely fitted after it?

Sponsored Links
yes , just above the pump is a manual valve , like a tap. I assume it's there to isolate the pump if it needs replaced.

Checking this evening - both sets of pipes are hot , though the CH is not on. The hot water is.

The pump only has valve at the bottom to isolate the pump.

I have the original Trianco TR90 product manual but it doesn't show the heat exchanger in detail and the back of the boiler is very inaccessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back