Radiator Has Us Beaten What Way Should It Flow ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll provide as much info as I can:

I have a pressurised central heating system running 8 radiators. All have TRV's fitted although now we have a room thermostat they are all run fully open. The radiator furthest from the boiler and in the coldest part of the house never warmed up last winter.

What I have done so far with no success.
I bled it. Removed it and flushed it out. WD'd and tapped TRV pin with hammer. Removed it again, this time when I replaced it I opened the TRV side first an no water flowed into it. Closed this side and opened the lockshield side which did allow water in.

I then unscrewed the nut between the TRV and the incoming 15mm pipe expecting water to hiss out but there was no pressurised water.

All the above leads me to ask. What way should the water be flowing into the radiator ? If from Lockshield side then it may just be that my TRV is stuck solid closed. If there is supposed to be a pressurised flow into the TRV side then I'm stumped.

Sponsored Links
Take trv off, and blow through it.
If trv is stuck shut, replace it and clean system.
Once the rad gets warm, system needs balancing.
If the trv was faulty, pretty sure system needs cleaning
You may have a roomstat, that doesn't mean you should fully open all trv's, that defeats the purpose of having trv's, see FAQ

Problem solved. The TRV was sound, removed it without any loss of water.
Put the heat on and manage to access the manifold under the floor and determine which pipes were not heating up.
Heating / boiler off all rads closed. Loosened then removed microbore for naughty pipe at manifold and pushed in a long piece of brake cable from other end. It didn't come all the way out !
We then discovered a large whitish coloured blob had blocked the end of the microbore, identified as compound or putty. Had to drill through it to get it out !

Refilled system, heat on, hot radiator :)

Sponsored Links
I'll provide as much info as I can:

I then unscrewed the nut between the TRV and the incoming 15mm pipe expecting water to hiss out but there was no pressurised water.

We quite naturally interpreted what you said as meaning that its a standard system fitted with 15mm and 22 mm.

It now turns out that its a microbore system!

The TRVs should also be set to the appropriate setting except in the room where the room stat is where it should be fully open.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back