Radiator Heat output - worth replacing old for new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a central heating system that must be 20 or more years old. The boiler has been repalced and pipes flushed. Radiators get hot and boiler stops heating further but the rooms simply dont get hot enough. The heat from the rads simply doesn't seem to transfer to the room.

I'm now thinking that this must be down to the design/age of the rads. i.e. they dont have any of the fins on the back that modern rads do. Am I correct in thinking this - are new ones really a lot better than old ones?

Also does painting them make any difference?

Finally we have a long single rad but it has to have a sofa pushed against it. Would a double be better there, or doesn't it matter as long as I get a single with fins on the back.

Just want to be sure before I spend a lot of money. Where is a the best place to buy decent quality rads at a decent price?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Layers and layers of paint will affect the rad output . Modern rads are far better at putting heat out into room.. Fins on back of rad is like having a rad about 40 percent bigger. Stelrad compacts are a good rad and the cheaper purmo rads are a good quality and finish. If you do replace with doubles just put a trv on it so you have control over room heat.

The plumbcentre an PTS are both good suppliers and don`t go by price in there catalogues as you should get a discount on these. Unless it`s the plumbcentre own brand of rad called centre rads the price you see is the price you pay, not a bad rad either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back