Radiator in a conservatory - Is my surveyor correct?

Thanks for all your input so far. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

Radiator in a conservatory is a waste of time. Heat is too localised and you will end up with chilly feet! Specify to the architect you want wet underfloor heating with at least 50mm (ideally 75mm) of kingspan and 50mm screed.

Sponsored Links
Most people have thermostats on all radiators, (I have) as I have a spare room that only needs very low heat in winter.

So why can't I put a radiator with a thermostat in my conservatory which I can control with a thermostat?

Sponsored Links
I think the regs say something like the conservatory has to have it's own separate heat source independent of the main heating system. The previous regs allowed you to use the main heating as long as the rad has it's own controls/TRV. I wouldn't mention anything about it in your PP app since it's not a planning issue, it's a building regs issue and a normal conservatory doesn't need building regs. Just add the rad afterwards if you really want to, but an elector oil filled rad will probably be just as useful at heating the sky.

It always surprises me how so many people do not understand a conservatory.

They are intended for summer leisure use and with this limitation in mind they are allowed to be built with insufficient insulation to enable them to be heated economically during the winter.

A typical conservatory needs 4-6 kW of power ( or more ) to keep them at 21 C when its -1 C outside. That's almost as much as the rest of the house in some cases.

It needs a lot of time to understand the current building regulations in respect of heating in conservatories. Many believe that if heating is to be provided then it has to have separate time and temperature controls to the rest of the house.

Tony

I think the regs say something like the conservatory has to have it's own separate heat source independent of the main heating system. The previous regs allowed you to use the main heating as long as the rad has it's own controls/TRV. I wouldn't mention anything about it in your PP app since it's not a planning issue, it's a building regs issue and a normal conservatory doesn't need building regs. Just add the rad afterwards if you really want to, but an elector oil filled rad will probably be just as useful at heating the sky.

as this thread is nearly 6 yrs old I'm guessing what ever the OP decided to do has been already done :rolleyes:

as this thread is nearly 6 yrs old I'm guessing what ever the OP decided to do has been already done

But the TR (thread reviver) is asking a question, not offering advice.
Although, I do wish people would start their own threads, not revive and hijack antique threads.

Let's face it, advice offered 6 years ago may well have been superseded by new regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back