Radiator inlets too near flow/return pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
With winter on the horizon I'm helping the elderly couple next door.

They were dropped in it by a cowboy. They have no radiators fitted but have ones already bought.

They were either selected incorrectly or their flow/returns are at old distances.

Basically the inlets are nearly kissing both outer diameters of each flow/return pipe.

Does anyone have any advice on best way to plumb this in for them?

Be great if there is a known short valve that can be bought for situations like these.

They have no money and can't buy new radiators or even return them.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_165707.jpg
    IMG_20230826_165707.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
1. A photograph showing the complete valve and the inlets of the radiator would be useful to determine the problem more accurately.
2. From what I can see of the valve, it is a "Union" fitting type. To get this to fit the new radiator you will almost certainly have to use the union type tails from the old radiator. The tails are the cylindrical parts which screw into the body of the radiator, and which have the other end attached to the valve. Tails almost invariably have a 1/2" BSP thread to go into the radiator. Union tails have a 3/4" BSP thread to connect to the valve. Compression tails (the other type) have a straight, normally chromed tube at the other end. onto which a compression (not Union) valve is fitted.
3. Given that the set up is of some age, great age judging by the paint on the pipes, the old radiators may well have been imperial, and the new ones metric.
4. It is likely that the pipe centre distances will have to be altered. It may well also be that the distance from the wall will be different. Such differences can generally be accommodated with additional pipework, with bends or fittings.
5. In my view this requires skills well beyond most average DIYers.

The pipework will need to be altered if all rads are as the one pictured .

Hi oldbuffer. Thanks for replying.

The old radiators are not here and must have been binned on removal. If they were I would have connected them back in for now.

The photo is all there is.

I am willing to buy new valves for them if there is anything on the market that is shorter than the usual valve connection to inlet distance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The pipework will need to be altered if all rads are as the one pictured .
Hi Terry,
I'm thinking of adding a compression elbow onto that supply replacing the valve. Then adding something like the attached photo of a flexible pipe running back to the radiator straight into a new valve going into the radiator.

Would you think that is ok to do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826_191848_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826_191848_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 28
It wouldn't look too neat ! Would the distance from the wall to the pipe also need to be re aligned ? Your pic appears to show the pipe virtually touching the skirting ,and once the rad is placed on brackets ,would probably mean the rad is outwardly further than the pipe ? Are the replacement rads conventional panel rads ,or some vertical " designer" type ?
Don't know if you are suggesting 2 of those copper flexis ( one on each end of rad)? If so ,and on several rads ,that's gonna work out fairly expensive.

Last edited:
Are the rads different widths?
You can get longer rad tails to fit a narrower rad.

DIY and have replaced some older rads with new.
Floorboards up and modified the pipework with compression joints.
A fair bit of time but low cost.

It wouldn't look too neat ! Would the distance from the wall to the pipe also need to be re aligned ? Your pic appears to show the pipe virtually touching the skirting ,and once the rad is placed on brackets ,would probably mean the rad is outwardly further than the pipe ? Are the replacement rads conventional panel rads ,or some vertical " designer" type ?
Don't know if you are suggesting 2 of those copper fkexis ( one on each end of rad)? If so ,and on several rads ,that's gonna work out fairly expensive.
Hi,
There is no issue with the distance from wall to the pipe. I checked and it's pretty central.
Yeah was thinking one of those flexis per side. They are only £6 each on Screwfix so wouldn't break the bank.

The alternative is to elbow out from each supply and use 15mm copper pipe bent in a spring bender but then its an extra compression fitting. I thought that was worse for flow.

Do you think the flexis would look rubbish. They will probably paint them and all the fittings with rad paint anyway haha

I would use solder elbows ( assuming pipes are copper ) ,one to take pipe out horizontal ,the other vertical. Probably only need to do one side of rad,the other side would line up ok.
A lot cheaper and neater.

You spend alot of money on a designer radiator so why not get a good Plumber who can work with copper to do it properly and make it look good.

With winter on the horizon I'm helping the elderly couple next door.

Simplest method is to move one end of the pipe work, which ever is the easier, where it emerges through the floor. It would likely only need an elbow - either soldered or compression type, and maybe a short bit of 15mm for each radiator.

The best and neatest way would be to use 45s possible 2 x =; & 2 x Street.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back