Radiator issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 5 years ago we added an extra dad in our kitchen \ conservatory room. It is a large one about 8 ft long. Since installing it has been hit and miss on when it warms up.I recently removed it and flushed it out with no apparent build up of sludge being found.Put it back on and bled all air out. At supply inlet pipe is hot but at outlet it's cold as is the rad.Here is the strange thing. I opened up the outlet and the return pipe the rad connects to is hot though the valve stem is still cold. Seems hot
water gets to the inlet but that's it. But the return pipe that connects to the outlet is hot.How can that be when rad is cold.??
Any thoughts. Thanks

Sponsored Links
When rad was off the wall ,did you open each valve to see if water ran out of each valve ?

Yes opened up both valves and flushed through. Also opened up both top inlets to make sure water flowing through whole rad. Got me stumped. All I can say is that if I put upstairs rads on full then downstairs ones do get cooler. So I balance the upper ones opening them slightly to make sure water gets to all ground floor rads. This big rad though still stays cold.

Balancing issue probably. Try this ,turn every radiator off by its TRV ( thermostatic rad valve) if they have one ,or its wheel head valve if they don't. Do not alter any lockshield valves on any rad. The rad that you have a problem with should have both it's valves fully open. Run heating and see if problem rad now heats fully.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back