Radiator key slips...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any tips for a radiator with a threaded valve. I can get the key on, but as soon as I try to turn it it slips off. I've been to try and find a key with a bit more leverage but can find one that will fit. As the keys are so flimsy, I can't get any extra leverage with a screwdriver through the handle either. Any advice would be appreciated thanks...

Sponsored Links
If you mean the Bleed Point , Get a Tool that will aloow you to remove the Bleed Unit together , then you can fit a new one , They are allen Key Shaped about 12mm in size,with a Hole in them where the Bleed Screw passes thru , any good Merchant or B&Poo sell them

Lucky

Thank you!
Just had a look and I think I get you. Infact, I nearly bought one of those today, not really knowing what it was.
Is this going to be a messy job, or will the valve stay locked while I swap them over?

Shut Lockshield Valve and Thermostatic Valve or Std Valve if fitted then take out the whole gubbins , You can get the Part from B&Poo or any Merchant , Put some PTFE on the Threads of the new part before fitting same , Tighten up ensure Bleed Valve is nipped up and loosen off the Lockshield and Thermo Valve , bleed if required - all done.

Lucky

PS - If its an old Rad it could be a pretty tight fit , make sure you put the Tool tight in the unit and grab the Rad , its a normal thread so anti-clockwise to take it out - reverse for putting back in.

Sponsored Links
i have noticed that my 'new' rad bleed keys slip and wont open older bleed valves.

customer had an older type that still worked fine, much tighter fit.

Is the lockshield valve one of the ones at the bottom on the ends? Sticking up from the pipe that comes from the floor?
It's your bog standard radiator, no extra valves fitted.
Thanks again for the help. I may ask my Dad for an old radiator key too.

Yes they are , one is flow into the Rad and one is flow out , so if you shut both Valves , The Water in the Rad is "captive" so to speak.

Lucky

i have noticed that my 'new' rad bleed keys slip and wont open older bleed valves.

That`s cuz it`s a Rlad Breed valve krey :rolleyes: From the Yuk Fu Manufacturing Co.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back