Radiator leaking from body (not joints)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I removed this radiator several months ago to have a wall re-plastered. I flushed the radiator myself and then it sat empty for several months while the wall was sorted out and decorated.

I've just refitted the radiator. I added some corrosion inhibitor and made sure all the pipes were connected properly with no leaks, topped up the boiler pressure and then (prematurely) felt rather pleased with myself, having never fitted one before. Unfortunately I noticed it is leaking from the body of the radiator, close to the bottom and not near any joints or pipes. I have examined it very carefully, and can clearly see the water is passing through the body of the radiator and is definitely not running from a joint or pipe somewhere else. The hole is tiny and appears slightly rusty.

I can only think this means it has rusted from the inside. Does this mean the radiator is scrap? I dare not poke the hole... perhaps the area is very thin!

James

Sponsored Links
Yeah, chuck it and buy a new one (make sure you get one with similar thermal output as well as being same size as the old one so the pipes fit).
If one has gone, have a look at the rest, see if there's any sign of bubbling seams or other nasties.

Thanks for the advice. I don't understand the bit about being far from an unknown hole (I know what all the holes are), but it is in the bottom run of the rad, about a quarter the way along the entire length of the rad, which looks like it's about 5' long and is a double radiator.
Valves are already isolated. Good advice on checking the other rads! What's scrap iron worth these days? :)

Sponsored Links
I ment problem far from unknown its called bottom run corrosion.
Scrap steel? By time you carted it to Scrap yard its cost you money! Just leave it outside gate it will soon disappear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back