Radiator makes whooshing noise but stops when toilet flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a new radiator fitted in my loft conversion and you can hear the water whooshing into it constantly and it gurgles, I have also notice the noise stops when the toilet is flushed or taps turned on downstairs! This is the only radiator in the house that does this. The boiler is in the room below. I have bled all the radiators until no air comes out. It is a combi boiler. Would be grateful for any ideas, thanks.
Just to add, the new rad valves are fancy chrome ones which arnt thermostatic valves, all the other rads have Normal thermostatic valves. Could this have anything to do with it? And would it be worth changing them?

Sponsored Links
What is the pressure gauge reading on your boiler? What make/model boiler is it? Does the noise happen with the heating on/off/both?

What is the pressure gauge reading on your boiler? What make/model boiler is it? Does the noise happen with the heating on/off/both?

The pressure is 1.2 when cold 1.5 when hot. It happens when the heating come on and noise is there constantly until the heating turns off. Its a Baxi combi boiler, not sure what model.

Try opening both valves all the way see if this stops the noise. You will have to re-balance the system if it does. Are you are bleeding the rads with the heating turned off ?. I think when you turn a tap on its just louder than the rad noise and its still there.

Sponsored Links
Try opening both valves all the way see if this stops the noise. You will have to re-balance the system if it does. Are you are bleeding the rads with the heating turned off ?. I think when you turn a tap on its just louder than the rad noise and its still there.

Noise is louder when both valves are open, its a constant sound of water going into rad, when the taps turned on or toilet is flushed its as if the water stops flowing into rad and when taps turned off or cistern refills it starts again. Bled all rads when stone cold. There is def air trapped somewhere as you can here it as it moves about inside the rad until it is fully warmed up but can’t remove it with bleeding.
Im thinking the pump pressure is too high but not sure how to lower it.

The noise stops because the heating stops when you turn a tap on, did you turn the boiler off when you bled the rads ?

It doesnt , he is probably washing his hands when he notices the noise has stopped and thinks its the toilet causing it. ;)

It doesnt , he is probably washing his hands when he notices the noise has stopped and thinks its the toilet causing it. ;)

Im in the same room (bedroom) as the radiator when the toilet is flushed downstairs in the bathroom….im guessing its just lots of air trapped in the system but havnt got a clue how to remove it, as bleeding the rads doesn’t get rid of it. Im at a loss!! oh well tried all I can think of, time for a professional to take a look I guess :(

If its one rad in particular check out the aladdin automatic air vent, fit it and leave it (you will have to keep an eye on pressure though). Never used one mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back