Radiator not Heating up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently had TRV fitted to l/room radiator by plumber. He also renewed lock shield valve on rh side too. We did call him back following day because LSV was leaking a little bit. Once plumber left we put heating on for the first time since valves replaced but l/room rad does'nt heat up. It does slightly but not even warm. Even at different settings.Tried bleeding but its full. Pipe leading to TRV is hot but pipe leading from LSV is cold. Is the LSV the problem. Have called plumber back but not responding. Cheers :(

Sponsored Links
shut the l s valve and count how many turns then reopen.
you can also unscrew the trv by the knurled nut half way down.
then there is a brass pin push that down and it should come back up freely. use a coin etc not your finger to push it.

Thanks will give a try when husband home. Will let u know what happens. Cheers

Tried turning (opening) the LSV (counterclockwise) but still no good.

Stuck as to what else we could try?

Sponsored Links
If the pipe leading to the rad is hot then one of the valves isn't open. Does the top of the lockshield valve just spin round? Usually they don't open or close the valve, they just act as a dust cap. You have to take it off to adjust the valve. Do you know how to remove the big plastic bit on top of the Thermo valve? HiSpec is right the pin can get stuck. Once you've taken the bit off the top you should see the pin, it's about the size of a pencil lead and sticks out about 5mm or so. Again as HiSpec suggests can this be pushed down with the flat side of a coin, shouldn't require too much pressure. Although a sticky pin on a new valve would be unusual?

Do you know how to remove the big plastic bit on top of the Thermo valve?

No I haven't tried this but because I don't know how to remove dismantle the plastic part of the valve?

The valve is a Drayton RT212 I think. How would I do this?

You more than likely have an airlock ,turn the heating on and turn alll the rads off apart from the one that is playing up this should move the air out of the way ,if you can have the heating on without hot water being on this will help shift it. Once it gets hot leave just this rad on for ten mins then turn the others back on

I took apart the TRV and pushed the brass pin/rod down and it came back up freely so I assume this is working OK.

I'll try turning all rads off tonight and give that method a bash. All the other rads have normal valves on so am I assuming correctly that I merely turn these valves anticlockwise to close them? Sorry for coming across as clueless.

Thanks.

The wheelhead valve would be the left hand side valve, yes?

Do I just turn them until they can't be turned again or do I need to be counting the turns?

Thanks again.

the trv 4 from drayton has a flow limiting option, maybe this model has it too.
have a look at the paperwork that came with the valve or call drayton techno boys and ask them about this model

OK I tried turning off all the other radiators. The offending radiator then started to get lukewarm at the top of the radiator but no more.

That's as warm as it gets.

Any other things I can try?

Took off the lockshield valve and let water pour out into a container for a bit then put it back on. Checked boiler to make sure pressure was still OK or if it would need adjusting.

Radiator heats up now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back