Radiator not hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs radiator is only slightly hot along the top. The pipework going into the radiator at the thermostat is very hot and the exit pipe is cold. I have bled it but to no avail?? Could this be a blockage? How do I take the radiator off?

Sponsored Links
The restriction could be sediment in the radiator but it could be one of the valves.
I would ensure the thermostatic valve is operating properly by setting it to No 5 (this takes the pressure off the valve)and then remove the valve head. The fastening device for the head is usually a knurled nut, but there are other methods.
With head removed there will be a pin protruding about 9mm if the valve is open, by depressing this pin it closes the valve but yours may be stuck in the closed position.(total movement will be about 3mm)
The opposite valve should be fully open, so you need to verify that it is.
If you have to remove the radiator then you need to close both valves and there will still be water in the radiator that needs collecting as you undo the joints. Remember if you have a sealed system you will lose some pressure when you open the valves and refill the radiator so don't forget to re-pressurise
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back