radiator paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved into new home and the rads have a yellow creamy look , whats best paint to bring back to white please

Sponsored Links
Berger primer/undercoat, then Johnstone's water based 'Aqua' satinwood or gloss. (Not oil based, as that will yellow quickly).

Don't bother with special radiator paints - they are an unecessary and expensive gimmick.

Sponsored Links
If you refer to the Acrylic Satin, then of course it is waterbased.

Dec

If you refer to the Acrylic Satin, then of course it is waterbased.

Dec

What else would I be referring to? Most readers can cope with a little deixis here and there, can they not?

I really would not know, yet as you have offered advice with regard to a paint system and not for the first time, that does not exist, pardon me for being somewhat confused.

Dec

Thank you for admitting that you wouldn't know what else I would be referring to. Most sensible people would conclude that the paint referred to in my link was the ONLY paint I could mean!

BTW : On the subject of confusing people, you sometimes do this by referring to a paint 'system', when actually you just mean one kind of paint. A system involves more than one component. HTH

Clarity is all, I agree.

:)

Thank you for admitting that you wouldn't know what else I would be referring to. Most sensible people would conclude that the paint referred to in my link was the ONLY paint I could mean!

BTW : On the subject of confusing people, you sometimes do this by referring to a paint 'system', when actually you just mean one kind of paint. A system involves more than one component. HTH

Clarity is all, I agree.

:)

Really, well after offering advice on a paint system that does not exist I will pass by your advice. Furthermore you also mention that a system is made up of more than component, so regarding paint try a binder, solvent, and pigment.

Dec

Its not actually a very good idea to paint radiators in water based because of rusting. Its really important to prime any bare spots with a metal primer or use something like coverstain as an undercoat.

I deliberately painted my bathroom rad without priming a couple of bare spots to see what happened as i was unsure of the hybrid paint regarding rust, it does seem obvious that a WB will rust but there are WB metal primers available. I used sikkens BL satura and sure enough there are some rust spots come through.

Its not actually a very good idea to paint radiators in water based because of rusting. Its really important to prime any bare spots with a metal primer or use something like coverstain as an undercoat.

That's a valid point - if the radiator is in danger of rusting, I agree, a metal primer would be a good idea. I suggested w/b trim to avoid the problem of yellowing.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

I will pass by your advice.
I have never had any reason to think that you would do anything else

Furthermore you also mention that a system is made up of more than component, so regarding paint try a binder, solvent, and pigment.
Literally, that's accurate.. However, the term is more often used to refer to two or more different but compatible kinds of paint which are used in conjunction with each other. Hence the confusion when one kind of paint is referred to as a 'system'. :rolleyes:

Gloss- Dulux blue lid so far seems fine, i painted my dining room door (which is quite dark) about 4-5 months ago and still looks fine.

If a WB finish i'd prime it with coverstain or 123 (which off the top of my head is ok over ferrous metal, but would double check) or spot prime.

There might be some aerosol sprays around.

So here's my latest idea :-

WB coatings are awkward to apply to a high standard and the ideal application method is by spray. So how about WB paint sold in a pressurised can (similar to an aerosol) of say 500ml? Make available a gun that can simply screw on and off allowing the can to 'keep' itself pressurised and hey presto you've got yourself perfect application without the expense of hvlp machines. Or am i being simple? What do you guys think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back