Radiator pipe connection fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have this pipe and connection fitting on my radiator upstairs which i want to move, make it longer, so i have bought some GPSPEEDFIT pipe and fitting, o and a pipe cutter, proper one, when i come back from buying what i needed, the pipe looked a little bigger, weather this is internal and external, i'm not sure, but measuring the speedfit pipe which is 15mm to the pipe in the picture, the pipe in the picture is bigger by a couple of mm, so is this the thickness of the pipe? outer? or inner as well, i can't see any marking on this pipe, that tells you the size of it, i want to connect it straight to speedfit connection to extend it, along with the other pipe, thanks
IMG_20200526_133644.jpg

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Looks like someone had some 16mm PEX left over from an underfloor heating install, or do you have UFH and manifolds as well as rads? You may have 20/25mm main feeds too. Those 16mm PEX adapters should be ok, just be very clean and tidy as to how you fit them.

What radiator valves do you have then too as they may have adapters on them too.

Looks like someone had some 16mm PEX left over from an underfloor heating install, or do you have UFH and manifolds as well as rads? You may have 20/25mm main feeds too. Those 16mm PEX adapters should be ok, just be very clean and tidy as to how you fit them.

What radiator valves do you have then too as they may have adapters on them too.

Hi Madrab, it was the council that had contractors install a new heating system in our house before we bought it, i have no idea about any of it, we do have rads, and the main feeds are a bigger pipe, looks like the sizes you mention, so this pipe is definitely 16mm? do you think they do plaric to plastic connectors ? as i want to fit this to speedfit connection. thanks

It's PEX, typically for UFH, comes in 16mm/20mm/25mm. If its a mm larger then it'll be 16mm OD.

The 16mm to 15mm reducers will fit copper or plastic, just don't forget the inserts.

You will just have to cut the 16mm before the bend and then a reducer to speedfit and run that up to the rad valve, need to check the rad valve though as that may be adapted (or natively) 16mm too.

What a farf ...... that's the council for you :confused:

It's PEX, typically for UFH, comes in 16mm/20mm/25mm. If its a mm larger then it'll be 16mm OD.

The 16mm to 15mm reducers will fit copper or plastic, just don't forget the inserts.

You will just have to cut the 16mm before the bend and then a reducer to speedfit and run that up to the rad valve, need to check the rad valve though as that may be adapted (or natively) 16mm too.

What a farf ...... that's the council for you :confused:
Thanks Madrab, i have just ordered some off ebay, £9 for a two pack, 16mm plastic to 15mm copper end, so i'll go 16mm UFH to 15mm copper, to 15mm GPSpeedfit, what a malarky, typical of the council, why is they can never do anything right, and they have got far worse these days, looks like i'm going to have to order my radiator valves 15mm, as the valves that on this pipe, are going to be 16mm too, i'm glad you pointed that out, i wouldn't have give that a second thought, that's experience for you.

Last edited:
16mm plastic to 15mm copper end, so i'll go 16mm UFH to 15mm copper, to 15mm GPSpeedfit,
You don't need to bring copper into it, the ebay picture shows it as a copper compression end but the standard 15mm compression end of the reducer will accept either 15mm copper or plastic, you just need to ensure that you have a pipe insert in the plastic pipe before tightening it up. The other end for the 16mm PEX, has the split ring/insert and seal that will support the 16mm pipe.

Check the rad valves first as it would be unusual to find 16mm rad valves and there may be another type of adapter in there

If it is this, and the numbers on the pipe suggest it may be, then it made specifically for tap and radiator connections. I don't know why they couldn't make it in 15mm which would be compatible with "normal systems" but it may have been used absolutely correctly.

I don't think we'll ever know, unless we got to speak to installers who fitted it, and know the reasons behind it, i did read a little about it online, it's meant to be a very robust system, and suitable for heating, and drinking water, may be the company had loads of this type of pipe from another job, and got new money for this job, then used their old stock, which is suitable, but a pain in the rear if you don't know it's not the standard 15mm, as i have just found out, a few people have said it's UFH, be good if i knew somebody else locally who has had the work done, and see what was installed in their home.

may be the company had loads of this type of pipe from another job, and got new money for this job, then used their old stock

Or maybe it was specified by the council and the installers had to buy it afresh.

a few people have said it's UFH

It is different from PEX which is normally used in underfloor heating systems.

I agree 15mm would have been easier but 16mm seems to be a European size.

Or maybe it was specified by the council and the installers had to buy it afresh.

It is different from PEX which is normally used in underfloor heating systems.

I agree 15mm would have been easier but 16mm seems to be a European size.

You say it's not PEX. will it matter if the adapters i have ordered are for PEX? ADAPTER REDUCER 16mm PEX/ALU/PEX PIPE - 15mm
COMPRESSION COPPER,
and wonder why we would use that size? other than to confomr with EU standards, i like feet and inches, not trying to work out CM and MM.

Yup, stand corrected, the pipe you may have may be MLCP as against PEX, Uponour supply/use both. Just need to check out that they can use compression fittings as well as the press fit that yours has, wouldn't see why not, give Uponour a call to confirm.

Yup, stand corrected, the pipe you may have may be MLCP as against PEX, Uponour supply/use both. Just need to check out that they can use compression fittings as well as the press fit that yours has, wouldn't see why not, give Uponour a call to confirm.

Thanks, i did email Uponour yesterday, to ask if they sold connectors for this job, and explaining what i was trying to do, but haven't got a reply back, i will phone them in a minute, see what they say, i do hope it's ok, in heinsight, i should of just rang them first before ordering off ebay, i just assuming that they will take the 1.5 bar and are totally suitable for the job. i have just went back to the listing, they seem well adiquate for the job, what do you think??.
  • Material: brass (CW617N)
  • Fittings Type: PEX-AL-PEX
  • Fittings Size: 16mm x15mm
  • Max. Temperature (at 6 bar): +95oC
  • Max. Pressure (at 60oC): 1,0 MPa (10 bar)
  • Gasket: "O" - NBR type
  • Pad: PTFE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back