Quick Q about Speedfit pipe inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are two inserts available for Speed fit pipe.

A Superseal insert when using Speedfit pipe with Speedfit fittings : www.speedfit.co.uk/part_spec.asp?s=STS_S1

..and a pipe insert when using Speedfit pipe in standard compression fittings : www.speedfit.co.uk/part_spec.asp?s=TSM_S1

PTS and my other local plumbers merchants only sell the Superseal inserts and PTS have assured me that they are also OK to use when connecting 15mm Speedfit pipe to radiator valves. (B&Q sell both)

Are they right ? Does anyone else use these inserts on TRVs without a problem ?

In theory the extra rubber seals should give a better seal but I'm just a bit concerned because the copper olive ends up compressed on the very edge of the pipe, due to the end of the Superseal insert being larger and sticking out further than the standard pipe insert.

I could just do with some reassurance before I commit to using them !

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Use a copper tail up to the TRV from last pushfit fitting. Looks better and gets rid of your concerns! or...

Use a standard insert and don't over tighten compression nut (in either case).

I could just do with some reassurance before I commit to using them !

I'd accept the manufacturer's instructions above the opinion of the bloke in PTS! Ie visit to B&Q or wherever to get the correct ones, indicated. You can get away with crossing the road without looking, usually...

Be careful. When you're doing up one end of a length of pipe, if you twist it, you might be undoing the joint you just made at the other end of the same length.

You will probably struggle to fit olives over the super seal o rings.

Sponsored Links
like breesey says got to copper till it goes under the floor at least

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back