Radiator / Pipe Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

First time posting, every other time my question had already been answered I cant seem to find anything this time though.

Basically I've brought a house (built in the 1930s) it's pretty run down so there's a lot of issues. SO big thanks for all the help so far first of all.

My problem is with the radiators. The radiator in our bedroom makes hissing and clunking sounds. It sounds to me like they're coming from the radiator itself as opposed to the pipes.

The noise it makes is either a straight up 'clunk' or 'click'. It occurs more often when the radiator is warming up but is does still happen frequently when it's warm. A lot of the time it is a hissing noise which increases in volume for a few seconds until there is a 'clunk', then the hissing stops only to start the cycle again a few moments later.

From my understanding it could be a few things.

1) Pipes expanding and retracting with the boiler
2) The radiator expanding against its metal brackets (there are no plastic brackets)

Neither of these seem to explain the raising hissing sound before a 'clunk' though.

Can anyone please help me diagnose/fix the problem so I can sleep past 5 a.m. when the heating turns on! :D

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
could be the thermostatic valve if you have one, that is not bi flow, it could be fitted wrong way round.

Does the radiator get hot all over?
Is there a thermostatic valve on the radiator?
What type of flooring do you have in the room?

Thanks for the replies. The radiator does get hot all over I tried bleeding it and water came out straight away. It does have a thermostat. We just have floor boards right now! I have tried turning down the thermostat on the boiler and that does help so the sound has to be related to heat and expansion?

Thanks for the replies!

Sponsored Links
Also how would I check the flow of water through the radiator?

I can see the arrows on the TRV to indicate the direction it's designed for, but I don't know what way the water is flowing.

Do the wall brackets have the plastic lugs on them, as this would cause a noise when the radiator heats up and cools down.

It would mean removing the radiator from the wall but you could put a few turns of insulation tape on the wall bracket where the radiator hangs onto.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back