Radiator plumbing query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm plumbing in a new radiator To my current system.

I don't have a radiator close to where I'm installing the new one but the boiler is close to it.

I have been informed that I have simply tee into the flow and return pipes from the boiler and just wanted to 100% make sure if that is ok??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Dale

Welcome to the forum.

It depends upon the type and layout of your system but unless you have either an extremely ancient gravity only heating system ie 50 years plus. Or a combi, possibly not. If not, the new radiator will need to be connected so that it is fed via the pump, and if you have motorised valve(s) it will need to be after them also, otherwise the radiator will also come on with the hot water as well as the heating.

If you provide a detailed description of your heating system someone will be able to advise further.

Hi thanks for the reply

I have a combi boiler....so are you saying above that a combi boiler will be fine to do this with?

What kind of information on the layout would you need

In that case, the heating flow and return will come directly from the boiler. If the new radiator is near the boiler then the lockshield end should only be cracked open slightly, otherwise much of the flow will take the easy route through the new radiator and the others will get a reduced flow.

It would only be a problem if you also had a hot water cylinder fed from the same pipes, but as you have a combi the hot water will have a separate supply pipe from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thank you very much!! So
Basically there's nothing wrong with doing it on a combi boiler and the pipes flow and return on the boiler I can follow them
Down put a tee in and my new pipe for radiator in?

Also the JG speedfit tee is fine for this isn't it?

Thanks for your help

How do you mean?
If you don't know then I suggest you pay the services of someone who does.
Why is it every man and his dog think they can carry out plumbing/heating works?..
Industry gone to the dogs.

Hi

I'm not being funny but I know what I'm doing with the job just wasn't sure about the query I mentioned.

Il admit I'm new to
This but doesn't mean I can't do it and how else do you expect people to learn

Also isn't this forum a DIY forum not a pay someone else forum

I don't mean that to sound bad....I'm learning and eager to learn how and that's why I've joined this forum to find out couple of bits I wasn't sure about for the job

Basically Dale, if you only have a combi boiler with no valves in the primary pipe system that diverts the hot water to either the radiators and/or a hot water cylinder that are controlled by a timer/programmer (that you can adjust) then you should be ok to Tee into the primary flow and return pipes to add in a radiator. (look up S/Y plan heating systems and then check yours doesn't have these valves).
As suggested though, if the system is a reasonable size then the closest radiator will grab a lot of the initial flow and heat when cold therefore it's important to balance the system to make sure all rads warm up at the same time.

Also most boiler manufacturers state no plastic for the first meter on the flow and return pipework.

Hi

Yes I knew about the meter of copper coming out of the boiler which is fine thanks for that.

Only thing then I need to double check is his s and Y plan

There is seperate feedsnot everything on the boiler if that helps

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back