Radiator Popping/Clicking Sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've been meaning to ask this for years but never got round to it ..

My mother had central heating fitted years ago and has the boiler serviced regularly. For as long as I can remember I've heard something like this ... water pump running, boiler fires up, a minute or so later a series of loud pops and clicks from the panal rad in the bathroom. Sounds last say two mins then disappear and I can hear the pump running still. Pump stops for a few seconds then restarts and a few mins later so do the pops and clicks.

There have never been any signs of a water leak and it's not the sounds of thermal expansion of copper pipes on wood or steel rad moving on steel hangers.

Any idea what causes it? Is it normal? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Check both valves open enough. Other than that the pipes are too tight on surrounding woodwork and expansion/ contraction issues.
Nothing else.

Sponsored Links
You need to give a better description of your system to get specific answers. Boiler type and all the controls on the system and if applicable, the cylinder type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back