Radiator problems after new boiler fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help me, as I have a problem with my radiators since I had a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Si boiler fitted. I would call the guy who fitted it, but he is away for a couple of weeks in Europe.

Anyway, since the fitting, most of the radiators in the house are hot at the top but cold in the middle. Now before everyone says they need flushing, this didn't happen before the new boiler went in. I have had thermostatic rad valve added where they were missing too if that helps.

Could it be that the water is being pumped too fast, causing it to not fill properly???

Any help is appreciated, as it's obviously not very efficient like this!

Sponsored Links
First point is, the guarantee on your new boiler will be VOID if the system hasnt been flushed.....

Sounds like the system is full of sludge, and you've had a cowboy installer. The pump speed is totally irrelevant. Basically the rads are not getting hot because the sludge is displacing the water, and preventing the heated water from filling that area of the rads. Sorry chap, but it needs sorting properly by someone who knows what they're doing by sound of things. I take it you saw his Gassafe card??????

Hi,

Yes he was gassafe, and all the rads were flushed and emptied, and the water was clean throughout. The reason I say that I am sure it's not sludge, is before the new boiler, all the rads were fine and hot from top to bottom.

On one of the problem radiators make a note of how many turns it takes to close the lockshield valve so you can later restore it to near this setting.

Then try opening the TRV and lockshield valves fully. If the radiator gets thoroughly hot the problem is with the balancing of the system.

Sponsored Links
Im confused. :confused: First post you said
Now before everyone says they need flushing, this didn't happen before the new boiler went in.

Second post you said
all the rads were flushed and emptied
I agree, if they were all ok prior to the new boiler being fitted then unlikely to be any volume of sludge, but it is a condition of the manufacturers warranty that the system is clean before the boiler is fitted. I hope you'll be lucky and a system balance will sort it, if not then you need to get your installer back!

Im confused. :confused: First post you said
Now before everyone says they need flushing, this didn't happen before the new boiler went in.

Second post you said
all the rads were flushed and emptied
I agree, if they were all ok prior to the new boiler being fitted then unlikely to be any volume of sludge, but it is a condition of the manufacturers warranty that the system is clean before the boiler is fitted. I hope you'll be lucky and a system balance will sort it, if not then you need to get your installer back!

I see how it could confuse!! I meant, that the radiators didn't have a cold middle before the boiler went in. The rads were flushed through as far as I could tell, they certainly emptied it all out.

Anyway, I spoke to the installers wife today, and he is back on Saturday and will be round shortly after to sort it out.

Even if the heating isn't perfect yet, the shower is now the best shower I've ever had! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back