Problem with new boiler & heating radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother recently had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri installed. Heating hot water is fine. To start with 4/10 radiators were working. Called installer who bleed radiators, installed a new pump in boiler and then fitted some sort of red external pump with a filling loop, charging her £575 for 3 visits and parts. Now 8/10 radiators are working and she is having to call him back. The radiators have TRVs fitted and the system was power flushed. Does it make sense what he's done so far? or could it be a case of boiler not being sufficient for 10 radiators. There could be a genuine problem with the system, but I'm getting worried how much more it's going to cost her to put it right, as her only income is her pension.

Sponsored Links
Firstly I would have to ask why, as you say the system is new, she is having to pay for anything.

What happened to her warranty from the installer :eek:

She has a five year Worcester Bosch guarantee for the boiler. I didn't know anything about this and she has paid his bills, thinking that if it was an initial problem with new installation then it would be covered on Worcester Bosch's guarantee.

No one with any proffessional integrity would install a boiler with out first checking out the system and idicating any necessary changes that would neeed to be affected at the time of installation It would appear that your Mother has found a Cowboy.

Sponsored Links
Bogstandardagain, the engineer she used is Gas Safe registered and was previously Corgi registered. I know Gas Safe has some sort of complaints procedure, so if the engineer fails to sort what is causing the problem out, would it be a case for them to consider? On that point as well, has anyone got any ideas what is causing the problem?

Has anyone got any more comments on this thread? Have to admit I'm a female and not sure how to handle this best. One thing that is on my mind, is a Worcester Bosch Greenstair 18RI adequate for 10 radiators? Eight are getting hot and two are very slightly warm.

The boiler should be adequate for the job.

I expect this is the situation I often see where an old person wants to manage their life themselves but lacks the experience and firmness to get it done properly without being ripped off by the less scrupulous.

The only good thing about it is that she will not realise that she has been overcharged and will probably just say "he was a very nice man".

The boiler should be fine for for up to a larger three bed house. Its the heat loss thats relevant not the number of rads.

Tony

Any installer worth their salt should be able to plan and install a system that will work from the outset, it doesnt inspire confidence when they have to return and make alterations because it doesnt work properly... Do not part with any more money, you have paid for a system to be installed, it should work. The installer should be dealing with these issues at his own expense.

The boiler should be adequate for an average 3 bedroom house, its may just be the system needs balancing, again this should have been done by the installer as part of the installation, he should return to do it again at NO additional cost.

Gas Safe would only probably be interested if any of the installation of the boiler, flue or gas pipework was not up to standard, I doubt they'll have any interest in the wet side, (i.e. radiators etc.) Worcester Bosch will guarantee the boiler for 5 years provided it has been installed as per their requirements. If there is a later issue with the boiler and the specs have not been complied with they will likely refuse to honour the warranty.

I would ask the installer to return and rectify all the current problems at his expense. If he fails to do so then it is maybe time to warn him that you will be looking for another engineer to assess the situation and carry out works as necessary to get the system working correctly, and you will be forwarding this bill to the original installer. Maybe worth speaking to trading standards too.

Tobacat";p="1375165 said:
My mother recently had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Ri installed.
... Called installer who ... installed a new pump in boiler and then fitted some sort of red external pump with a filling loop
Are you absolutely certain it is the 18Ri? That boiler does not have a pump inside it.
Can you post the name of the red external pump?
What do the ends of the filling loop connect to?

It would be helpful if you could post some pics (use the Images button at the top of the page).

Now 8/10 radiators are working and she is having to call him back. The radiators have TRVs fitted and the system was power flushed.
An 18KW boiler should be more than enough for ten radiators.

How long did he spend power flushing the system?

Did he balance the radiators? (If he says you don't need to balance rads fitted with TRVs, he does not know what he is talking about.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back