Radiator removal - cap off pipes or put in a loop ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :),

Hope someone can help me with this one please ??

In preparation for a house extension, I'm knocking down an old outhouse /kitchen with a radiator in it. I need to remove the radiator and associated 15mm copper pipework completely from that room. Would it be best to just cut and cap off the two copper pipes with push on stop ends, or should I put a very short loop in to keep the flow going ??

As it's a downstairs radiator I was thinking of a quick cut and push on the stop ends to keep as much water, and more importantly inhibitor, in the system as possible as opposed to completely draining the system and having to buy inhibitor again.

Cheers,
Graeme.

Sponsored Links
It is, oil fired combi with a full flow radiator in the bathroom.

And this is only a temporary measure until after the extension is done in the next few months (hopefully !!).

Ah well once you’ve released the pressure through a rad bleed valve, you’ll have plenty of time to cut the pipes and slip a push fit stop end on them. It would be a bit more difficult with an open system.

Sponsored Links
Well........that went better than expected :)

Cleaned the pipes up before I started, cut them quickly and got my thumb over them to stop the water escaping, put the end stops on with just a bit more water escaping, refilled the system and checked for leaks. All looks ok......so far !!

Only casualty was a cut thumb.......sharp stuff that cut copper :(

Thanks again for the advice Mottie & Denso :)

Not sure how you cut the pipes, but if you've used a hacksaw, be aware, the sharp edges can damage the O rings in push fit fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back