Capping off a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone help?

We need to remove 3 radiators to accomodate some building work. We are ok with removing the radiators but we want to cap the pipes below the floorboards. Can anyone advise how we do this, the pipework is 8 or 10mm microbore copper. I am worried that if i cut the pipe to put a compression end cap or solder a cap on, the water will flow out of the pipes when it is cut. Also do the 2 pipes need to joined to keep the system flowing to other radiators

thank you

Sponsored Links
You could of course screw caps on the valves and bend the pipes under, but dead legs aren't a good idea so you should cap the pipes off right back where they come from larger pipe (usually a "manifold").

You can try to use bungs in the header tank supply and vent pipe. Littluns freeze easily too.

chris

a micrafold

wm12_28x12.jpg

long time back ;)

i confuseed you sorry mate you call it a manifold

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies so far

This work is only designed to be temporary until we get someone to replace all the pipework upstairs, we are not happy with the microbore stuff.

Am i correct in thinking that if the heating is turned off I can cut the pipes to put a compression fitting on without water continuing to come out of the end

Thanks

Am i correct in thinking that if the heating is turned off I can cut the pipes to put a compression fitting on without water continuing to come out of the end

NO

you need to
  • empty the water out of the system first, as Kev has suggested.
    or freeze the pipe
    or as Chris has stated if the system has a header tank try using bungs in the pipes coming out of the header tank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back