Radiator sealing fluid also MOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a water leak on my 2005 Picasso, so I took it to garage who had put a 2nd hand engine in for me. I thought perhaps a pipe or something wasn't right. The mechanic said it was the radiator, I mentioned a well known brand of sealant and he said he doesn't use it as it can cause the heater matrix to block. He had a scrap Picasso on forecourt said would replace mine with the one from there. He removed mine then I sat in the car while he installed the replacement I saw him pour something in from a quite small bottle. I returned home. The next morning I checked the water level to find it was my old radiator. When I called to query he said he'd told me which he hadn't but what got me is when I queried that he didn't believe in sealants he said what he used worked differently by welding the metal together and not blocking the hole like other products and that he paid over£20 for the small bottle. Because of the way it works it won't cause other problems. I am OAP female and I have searched web sites for this miracle fluid. Have I been conned. Also the engine warning light is on he said to ignore it it's saying EJR (I think that's what he said). The engine sounds and goes fine MOT is due this month would the light being on mean a fail. I am reluctant to go back to him unless you prove him right about the expensive fluid. If you have read all the way down this, thank you for your patience. In nut shell is there a sealant that doesn't use a gunge type liquid and will my car fail with engine warning light on. He has removed it twice but it comes back on.

Sponsored Links
Never heard of such a fluid and I've been in the game 45 years. As to the light coming on, it won't necessarily fail the mot if it is just an engine warning light but it is signalling that something is not quite right and that may affect the exhaust emissions which in turn could lead to an mot failure.

Anyone can turn a light off quite easily but finding and rectifying the fault is another matter if it's to stay off.

I'd start looking for another garage that you can trust.

Sponsored Links
My my - I think someone has been giving you the right runaround :eek: would you mind making a couple of things clearer for us?
It seems that your Citroen has had a severe water leak that has caused engine problems - would that be correct - and another engine has had to be fitted? OK, that could be acceptable if the damage was severe - repair cost for overheating issues can be high.
The main radiator has been removed, and then replaced by the same one? That's nonsense as these radiators don't repair well - he has bodged the thing up with a radiator sealant......ok these products work quite well but aren't permanent. Replacement radiators from a motor factor aren't that expensive, but from a Citroen dealer they are.
The lamp on your dashboard is linked to the EGR, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation system. This allows exhaust gas to be burnt twice to reduce pollution, and your car may or may not pass the MOT in this state.
Can I advise you to go somewhere else (anywhere!) and get a more honest opinion? If the garage is capable of MOT testing they can do you an emission test without too much trouble or expense.
John :)

Hi
Thanks for all responses, my original engine seized up my timing belt broke. After the replacement 2nd hand engine was installed and I got it back I had the water leak. Was fine before I don't think I ever had to top it up in all the 12 yrs I have had it. Then I took it back to mechanic who did the engine he said it was the radiator. After that it was as my prior posting, he said he had a 2nd hand rad that he would install, he definitely removed mine I saw him do it then I left him to it. Also I mentioned fumes in the car when the fan was on. When I spoke to neighbour about it he looked underneath and said the air con pipe wasn't attached. I don't think I have done this post correctly, I was responding to Burnerman but I think I have done it as an answer to my own question. These forums have me a bit baffled. (Dont tell anyone but I have had a bus pass for over 11 yrs ) it's so nice to know there are still nice kind people out there. Thank you all

To be fair, radiators of that age are easily damaged and even the slightest fiddling such as removing a water hose can give them a hard time. The good news is that leaks are easy to spot!
Either way, this 'mechanic' sounds like a villain and you should visit another independent garage who hopefully has a sympathetic ear.
Whatever you do, make sure the water level is always full.....if it's kept that way the engine won't come to any harm.
We can't comment about fumes in the car just yet, but leaking coolant had a fairly distinctive curry smell that most of us can recognise.
I'd assume the air con is a goner, but that's no big deal.
Let's know what happens, and if we can assist in any way.
John :)

I suspect this garage has special rates for female OAP's - ie double.

Sponsored Links
Back