radiator size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm changing 2 radiators in the lounge
and i'm planning on going for double

BTU calc for the room is around 10,000
7.2m L x 4.4m W x 2.2H room - 2/3 outside walls ( i say 3 as one is a utility room , with no heating ) 2 o/s walls =9905 , with 3 o/s walls 11,957

Replacing 1220 x 500 imperial i guess 48" x 201/2" rads with the cheaper 1200x600 (much cheaper, from screwfix / toolststation)
the 1200x600 from screwfix - single is 3893 BTU
x2 = 7,786 - so not close to the room calc

Then if i go for the double
6,998 BTU
x2 = 13,996 BTU oversize by about 40%

i could change to have a single and a double i suppose 3, 893 - single + 7,786
that may help as we a oil painting above one of the radiators - assuming i can move the pipework back towards the wall

I dont plan on putting TRV on the rads , as had a load of issues with those in the past - BUT i may get the toolstation offer rads with free TRV, and fit later

toolstation 7,208 each - so 14,416

Now i have read its better to have over sized radiators, as i can reduce the flow, change the boiler temp (new boiler a few weeks ago) and to go about 25% oversize

i think its a no brainer to go for the 2 x double 1200x600 rads - but something is holding me back ,

I will need to get some extension chrome 60cm
also the center of the pipe work from the wall is around 95mm - so that fits with the double size rad as well,, spec sheet 98mm making that a bit easier to fit

The room has been cold with the old radiators , not the warmest room in house , thermostat was in hall , now with new boiler we have wireless

I did this with the dining room, replaced a 1220 x 500 with a 1200x600 ,single and because of the cost of the radiator £57 , it was 56% overrated for the room,
BTU = 2500 calculator - Rad = 3,900 and it gets really warm in that room, but its not on long. and i plan , now the boiler replaced to reduce the flow

The boiler temp for central heating is set to 65C and i could bring that temp down , as i understand from reading , that with oversized radiators that can be done to reduce costs

anyway , just thought i would get some thoughts , before i go off to screwfix/toolstation tomorrow and buy the 2 rads

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back