Radiator suddenly gone stone cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got an outbuilding that has a radiator in it spurred of our house central heating. It was working ok but is now stone cold. The radiator was installed when the previous owners converted the detached garage into a home office about three years ago.

It has been built into a cabinet so without ripping that apart I can only just reach the TRV the lockshield and the bleed screw.

This is what I've tried. I closed the TRV and lockshield and opened the bleedscrew fully. Then I opened the TRV and the water squirted out into the bucket I'd put ready. I left it like this for a few minutes until I could feel the valve body getting warm so I know water is getting there from the boiler. Then I closed the TRV and opened the lockshield. The water still squirts out of the bleedscrew but apparently not quite under the same pressure judging by the arc of the stream.

So I know the pipes between the house and the outhouse aren't blocked. Any ideas how I can fix it?

Sponsored Links
Close off the others radiators, leave this one on, and see if it works

Thanks denso13, I closed off the TRVs on all the other rads and put the heating on full blast for half an hour, still cold. Any more ideas?

Thorthumb";p="2556703 said:
Thanks denso13, I closed off the TRVs on all the other rads and put the heating on full blast for half an hour, still cold. Any more ideas?[/quote
If you turn the trv to max and remove the top, see if the pin is loose. It should have some movement which I think may be the problem. Give it a gentle tap, not to hard and hopefully you should have a hot radiator. Replace the top in the same position it was when removed. Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi Rob, the pin on the TRV moves freely and I'm pretty sure water flows through it if I press it down with the LSV closed the flow of water coming from the bleed screw slows to a stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back