Radiator tails - how do I stop them weeping!?

Sponsored Links
Well, the PTFE did the trick nicely. Wrapped it round at least 10 times. And also fitted the tails whilst the rad was still on the floor (as opposed to being mounted in situ on the wall) so that meant I could get some more torque through the spanner.

PTFE does what it says on the tin.
Its also an excellent method to use on compression joints if you want that perfect belt and braces approach.

Manufacturers will say their product needs no extra sealing materials added which is to be expected.
Some say a light lubricating oil can be applied which is a good idea.

PTFE on a compression joints fulfill's two purposes...

1 - Reduces friction (Thus less torque required for a tighter joint)
2 - Acts as a sealant (Thus preventing leaks)

Plumbers with the over inflated ego's say its not required and will argue the point until the cows come home.

But if you had 1000 28mm compression joints on a 10 bar system and Plumber A used ptfe and the plumber with the ego uses nothing as a manufacturer recommends then the guy with the inflated ego will have it busted when his 1000 joints are leaking like a sieve.

Sponsored Links
I had a brand new towel rail and the tail joint was quite a loose fit. I tightened it many times with varying amounts of PTFE and boss white but each time I had leaks and weeps. It was doing my nut in and I probably over tightened the joint too - luckily I didn't damage it but must have come close through ignorance and annoyance.

Finally I read a few forum posts and cracked it (the problem not the joint!). Someone had said they had NEVER had a tail leak with this method so I took their word.

I carefully wrapped about 15 layers of PTFE (no bosswhite) in the direction that the thread goes so that tightening the nut / flange bit didn't take the PTFE off. I also made sure it overlapped the start bit a tad so it wouldn't ride up as I tightened it. I also kept it flat, neat and took up the slack and even worked the PTFE into the threads with my nail to start with to stop it slipping.

It felt right when I tightened it, I didn't need to tighten it too much and it sealed it. As I tightened it I kind of knew it would be good.

For that joint on that rad tail it needed that many wraps. It was a "loose" fit which could just mean that the joint was clean and friction free rather than "loose" but it certainly would not tighten without bottoming out on tightening without lots of PTFE.

I was so chuffed it worked and that was 2 years ago.

Good luck ;)

Well, the PTFE did the trick nicely. Wrapped it round at least 10 times. And also fitted the tails whilst the rad was still on the floor (as opposed to being mounted in situ on the wall) so that meant I could get some more torque through the spanner.

Oops - I missed that you had fixed it so well done on that. Still worth sharing that lots of PTFE can help at times.
Macker6464

PTFE does what it says on the tin.
Its also an excellent method to use on compression joints if you want that perfect belt and braces approach.

Manufacturers will say their product needs no extra sealing materials added which is to be expected.
Some say a light lubricating oil can be applied which is a good idea.

PTFE on a compression joints fulfill's two purposes...

1 - Reduces friction (Thus less torque required for a tighter joint)
2 - Acts as a sealant (Thus preventing leaks)

Plumbers with the over inflated ego's say its not required and will argue the point until the cows come home.

But if you had 1000 28mm compression joints on a 10 bar system and Plumber A used ptfe and the plumber with the ego uses nothing as a manufacturer recommends then the guy with the inflated ego will have it busted when his 1000 joints are leaking like a sieve.

:rolleyes:

I merely stated I don't like PTFE as in the tape.

I love Loctite 55 and assorted anaerobic sealants.

Where appropriate.

if you're putting PTFE on an olive then you should graunch the olive before you add the tape.

ptfe just likes to wrap itself round everything in my toolbag, if i keep it in my pocket it will invariably bounce out at some point and go rolling off to god knows where like a long tiny bog roll...

and it doesn't wind back up so easy, thats why there is jet blue but no tape in my bag, loc55 too. thats it.

btw, is loctite suitable for gas, iirc it states that it is independently tested on gas upto X bar, but i assume that means its not approved by whoever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back