Micro bore radiator tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When removing a single panel radiator I managed to twist the valve slightly. This has a small bore copper tail into a plastic pipe approx. 5mm diameter.
The connection is now weeping very slightly and I don't want to tighten it any more in case I aggravate the situation.
If I drain the system should I replace the tail or would PTFE tape around the olive do the job ? Also I'm not sure how the copper tail is inserted into the plastic pipe or what the trade name is for that type of tail.
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its a compression joint, grip the main body of the joint with pliers or mole grips to stop it turning, and try tightening the compression nut(s) slightly. Don't over-tighten them.

Don't use PTFE on olives, a smear of jointing compound (eg. Boss White) will help though.

Sponsored Links
Pic as requested

[/img] View media item 17142
This is actually a radiator in our house, the one in question is in my son's house but the fittings are the same.
The small leak is at the bottom of the chrome hex connector. The main problem is that as yet I haven't been able to drain the system as it must be around 15-20 years old, at best 10 and the header tank is an E50 Spartan Eliminator, not found an isolating point yet, therefore if I tighten the connection too much and it gets worse then I'm struggling, especially with the neighbours down below.
If/when I eventually get it drained or isolated can I ask how the connection is made into the white plastic pipe.
I'm not a plumber but have been reasonably successful in DIY plumbing and was interested in the preference of boss white paste on olives to PTFE tape, just amateur curiosity.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

thats plastic coated copper

the copper isn't joined to the plastic ;)

reasonably successful in DIY plumbing and was interested in the preference of boss white paste on olives to PTFE tape, just amateur curiosity.

preferance

if you can close the rad valve you could freeze the pipe and repair it :idea:

kevplumb,

Thanks for the ID on the plastic coated copper, you learn something every day.

The rad has already been removed to enable plastering and the lock shield valve is holding however I don't have freezing gear, otherwise a good idea.

Cheers

68437249585a4636464e303475492d6c5f5851-149x149-0-0.jpg

you can get it in a can ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back