Radiator tails

Erm ..... Nope ... don't agree. Maybe with mechanical threads in other engineering areas but not where a water/gas seal is required in plumbing/gas work.

Hang on. I think you are responding to my post out of context.

I haven't denounced the use of PTFE tape in producing a seal. I do it frequently. In fact I pretty much agree with everything you've said and would add that, as this thread is about radiator tails, most radiator tail manufacturers recommend PTFE tape to seal their products.

I was responding to Dan Robinson who was going beyond denouncing PTFE as a seal and denouncing it's use at all.

PTFE tape in plumbing was originally introduced as a thread lubricant. That is a simple fact. And if you don't understand this then you are missing out on a very important part of it's function.

Now I'm sure that the world is full of DIYers who try to use PTFE tape as an alternative to actually compressing the gasket or olive. But used properly in a compression fitting, PTFE tape significantly improved the controllability of the compression applied at the point where it counts.

Is there anything in that that you can rationally disagree with?

Sponsored Links
Engineers make me laugh. When I ran a shop, they were the bane of my life, but gave us something to laugh about.
My favourite was the one we nicknamed "Planman".
He phoned to ask me to fit a new pump. Told me the model. Fair enough. I always carried Grunnys in stick and said I would call to fit one. He started to give me the measurements. I said STOP - the new is a direct replacement.
Ten minutes later, the FAX (remember them ? :). ) kicked in and out spilled a perfect tech drawing of A PUMP. We had a laugh and chucked it in the bin, moaning about waste of toner.

Called to the job, Grunny in hand, he showed me to the boiler.

The tw@t had spent an age measuring and drawing but had failed to mention that it was fitted in a corner between a wall and the boiler, something like a Diplomat. You could hardly get a fag paper between the pump and the wall or boiler. Impossible to get tools in and pump out.

Funnily enough, I can't recall what I did.

The only thing dafter than an engineer is an engineers wife. They think they are married to a God

As an engineer, one of the things that I enjoy most is helping customers sue incompetent plumbers.

Ah ....ok .... I possibly did take it out of context .... tho ....

I would disagree with one point though, PTFE tape in plumbing was introduced to replace the old hemp and paste process for sealing threads on mally iron/LCS, not as a lubricant. I do believe though it can be used as a lubricant but I would never ever use it as such in plumbing/gas work, there's quite simply no point/need.

Compression fittings used correctly require no modification to the compression forces acting upon the olive by using tape to lubricate the threads. It can actually cause problems on how a compression fitting works if excessive tape is used and it jams the coupler.

I've actually been out to fix a snapped compression fitting that had been overtightened due to the copious amounts of PTFE on the threads to try and stop it dripping, as they couldn't get it to tighten up enough, they then snapped the nut and jammed the whole thing on the copper.

My professional advice to DIYers is never use PTFE tape on the threads of compression fittings.

Sponsored Links
As an engineer, one of the things that I enjoy most is helping customers sue incompetent plumbers.

Like I said. Engineers are a joke and laughable.
In the same club as property surveyors and "project managers".

And one of the things competent plumbers do is spend time sorting out engineers crappy designs
When asked to vote for the Greatest Briton of all time, Isambard Kingdom Brunel was voted second after Winston Churchill.
No plumbers appeared in the top 1,000.
Why is it that plumbers can never even be bothered to even clear up the mess they make?

When asked to vote for the Greatest Briton of all time, Isambard Kingdom Brunel was voted second after Winston Churchill.
No plumbers appeared in the top 1,000.

Yet; bring things forward 200 years, to present day and the “Plumbing & Central Heating” section of diynot.com has far more topics posted than any of the others.
It can be frustrating that our work often goes unappreciated at time of install, on new builds, extensions etc, but that regularly changes when our services are called upon because you can’t take a sh!t, shower, or grandma/baby is freezing to death!
Everyone loves “my plumber” then.

A great deal of my work involves Engineering skills. I very much doubt your average engineer’s work involves much getting their ar$e out of the chair... let alone Plumbing skills.

Why is it that plumbers can never even be bothered to even clear up the mess they make?

Irrelevant Generalisation! However, personally, I am very tidy in my work and workplace management, but would be a very expensive domestic “engineer” (ie: cleaner) :LOL:

Yet; bring things forward 200 years, to present day and ...

That was 15 years ago.

“...the “Plumbing & Central Heating” section of diynot.com has far more topics posted than any of the others.”

So? Does it have sections for DIY politicians and DIY engineers?

“A great deal of my work involves Engineering skills.”

Hey, I took a splinter out yesterday. I’m a surgeon.

“I very much doubt your average engineer’s work involves...”

So you don’t know. Why comment

“Irrelevant Generalisation! However, personally, I am very tidy in my work and workplace management...”

Show me the plumber who admits it’s her that leaves solder splashes on the carpet, blow lamp scorches on the walls and a heap of rubbish for some assumed skivvy to clean up.

“... but would be a very expensive domestic “engineer” (ie: cleaner)”

Ignoring your attempted insult, this shows your very typical attitude problem.

Unless the contract you are working on explicitly states that you are not to clear up the mess that you created, it IS your job to do so.

Hey, I took a splinter out yesterday. I’m a surgeon.

You resurrected a year old thread, don’t know how to use multi-quote and came on here to insult regulars who have helped many people with their diy questions. You’re a tw@t.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back